Fun video partially made with Hype

There were some things that were just easier to do with Hype.

Some problems / feedback…

• Too bad you can't stretch a background image vertically and have it repeat horizontally. There are hacks to make it work, but I just used two repeating boxes to get the infinitely scrolling horizontal lines.
  • I had trouble getting a video game looking font to show up in Hype. It seems that PF Videotext Pro shows up in Final Cut Pro but not Hype. I didn't install any fonts on my MacBook, so I'm thinking it's probably part of Final Cut Pro.
  • I used CSS to maintain crispness. Perhaps that should be an image setting in Hype too. There are a lot of nice CSS tricks that could give Hype some new life… especially since IE is dead, there's a lot of standard stuff.
  • Most transitions were done in Final Cut Pro. Some new transitions in Hype might be nice too. Fade to black / Fade In, is easy to do in Hype though..
  • Hype is close to handling Nintendo / Super Nintendo level game development. If not for the CCD issue and the mysterious bounce deterioration in Matter.js, it kinda works for creating 2D games — similar to the ones from the 20th century.

This video certainly shows that the cut scenes are possible. HA HA HA! :smile:

3 Likes

Looks really nice!!!

Yeah, if it isn't in font book, then there's no way for Hype to pick it up. And as I'm sure you're aware, even if it is in font book, then browsers like Safari still wouldn't get it -- since system fonts have become a fingerprinting tool. Instead I'd always recommend adding fonts as resources/web fonts in the Hype document (even if you only plan to use it in Hype).

Fun fact: Hype's runtime theoretically already supports pixelated rendering; it just isn't exposed anywhere. It is used for sprite sheets. So all we'd need is a little UI for it. I added this on our feature tracker.

1 Like