Frame Rate Animation

Hi All,

I’m new to the forum, i have a question that hopefully one of you can help me with.

Frame rate. I make small animations for various social media platforms. Especially Vine. I need to be able to pause a Vine on a single frame, I also need the ‘account’ for every single frame as its critical that your able to ‘pause’ the vine (by tapping) to reveal a real result. Such as this:
https://vine.co/v/i2nx7evmjAx

At present if i make an animation for 3 seconds and export at 25fps then the clip that is made will lose some of its frames, and when every frame is critical in telling a story i need to find away to control this better.

So my Question is:
Is it possible to change my time line to reflect 25fps. Therefore i can see every single frame that the animation will export?

Thanks for all advice

Eric

Hi Eric!

As far as I know HTML5 animations run at 30 frames per second in Hype, and this cannot be changed via Hype's interface controls. Is the 25 FPS requirement PAL related?

However, the newest version has (3.5.2) has a new feature I have not experimented with:

goToTimeInTimelineNamed() API allows for times in between 30fps for smoother programmatic animations

I do not know if this will help your situation. If not then how about using an image editor to drill the frames down to exactly what You need? (.e. export at 30 FPS and tweak in the editor.)

1 Like

According to this article, It appears that Vine is 28.77 frames per second, so I recommend exporting at 30fps, and ensuring that each of your individual frames occur over at least 2 of Hype’s frames. That way, you can be certain that the frame will overlap across one of Vine’s computed frames.

However, when I download the original video, the video is 30fps according to Quicktime:

Is the problem that you’re not seeing names match with faces?

To clarify a few things:

• Hype's editor is fixed to working in timecodes that are 30 FPS. This currently cannot be changed (but does make a good feature request)
  • When running an animation in the browser, it will run as fast as it can, up to (and typically) 60 FPS. Thus you'll get more "in between" frames than you may have animated
  • You can export videos at different framerates, but there's no specified behavior on which frames would be dropped if you are lower than 30fps (generally speaking it is simple division though)

You may just want to export as PNG at 30fps and choose what to drop, or make animations expected to be 25 FPS (but then just they'll play a little fast in Hype when previewing).

And to clarify this:

When supplying times to the goToTimeInTimelineNamed() API previously, we would "quantize" any numbers to line up with a 30 FPS frame rate. Thus if you gave a time like "3.035" it would get quantized/rounded to "3.033333333333333" which is a time that lands on 3 and 1/30 seconds. Hype 3.5.2 respects the time between frames and will render at that exact time instead. If you're driving Hype's timelines via JavaScript this is useful because you can drive it at 60 fps to look smooth, or you can even play around with time but still have the animations look smooth when doing so.

1 Like

I presume the ability to set the editor’s frame rate didn’t make it into Hype 4. Is this because it would cause problems with HTML export?

Since we can export to video or animated GIF/PNG at a range of frame rates, it would be lovely if we could edit in our final output frame rate. My work is currently primarily output as 4k 25p ProRes. To be able to select frame rate in my template could also avoid the risk of accidentally outputting at the default 30 fps.

Thanks for the suggestion, we can definitely see the use case for this and I've added your vote to our feature tracker.

Since the last export setting is saved in .Hype files (and .hypetemplate files) you can make a template that exports by default to 25FPS:

25FPStemplate.hypetemplate.zip (8.8 KB)

1 Like

Finally, a question I can actually answer like Mr. Deutsch does… with authority.

I am an animator, Disney trained btw… and to quote the best Animator I ever worked with (Richard Williams), It is not the frame rate at all that makes quality animation, it really isn’t ask Hanna Barbera and the 12 fps Flinstones, Jetsons, et al that shaped our childhood and made them a buttload of cash.

Do not lose your minds over frame rates. It is not that big a deal in the BIG picture of what an animator does. I know this may sound like heresy to web animators, but it is not. 24 or 30 fps or what ever is baked into Hype is AMAZING. You should be sending TIP money to all the Hyperactives who made this animation tool do what it do. It’s that good.

The most important lesson one can learn in animation is not mastering the frame rate, it is animating so that the Character you are creating is BELIEVABLE. I place this right up with oxygen in the food chain of shizz you need to know about animation. It does not matter if you draw stickman or you tool is HYPE 4.0mg .

What matters is that you inject the animation with some character - because it makes one want to watch - you know, like good storytellers do.

I included a link to Mr. Williams work - so you can see what good/great looks like - fun fact - most of roger rabbits success was due to not using a 24 fps rate, but adjusting as needed, lots of 12 fps worked even better than the 60 fps for slow motion-y effects.
Lastly remember what Mr. Williams told a young tweener back in the day: ››

“Do not lose your mind whining about frame rates, become a better storyteller and inject believability into your animations.” Everything will take care of itself when you do that.

4 Likes

Thanks @Daniel, I believe that exporting as 25FPS from hype (naturally) discards some frames. I was struggling with dropped frames in 30FPS 4k until @jonathan gave this terminal command fix:
defaults write com.tumult.Hype4 videoExportFrameDelay .5

Do you think exporting as 30FPS and then retiming to 83.333% is the best workaround where you need to keep all frames? FCPX seems to be rounding to 83%.

Your export at 25FPS is a good solution if you don’t all of the frames, as the maths is a bit of a headache if you retime, but want something to happen at a specific time.

You could have FCP drop extra frames if you boost the framerate past your desired rate. I've done this in the past when producing titles for tutorial videos by exporting as 60FPS and retiming to half the speed. It should guarantee that you'll be the one dropping frames, not Hype. Also, the multiple is an even number so FCP won't drop any trailing decimals.

I am not understanding this notion - why not just export at 30 fps if You are going to retime back to that rate anyway?

Thanks.

In the majority of cases, the video export framerate should export exactly what you want. I sometimes find when exporting massively huge document that if I overshoot the framerate and retime the video, I'm more likely to get higher frame rates when importing into a video editer and slowing it down.

If your goal is to place a video export into a 30fps framerate video, then 30fps is a good export setting to use. In some cases, you might have some dropped frames which is where the defaults write com.tumult.Hype4 videoExportFrameDelay .5 terminal command comes in.

So if you have a 30 FPS export from Hype, and you want to get it to fit into 25FPS as @Aqueum sounds like he's trying to do, you would retime the 30FPS Hype video export to 83.3333% in FCP. But it sounds like FCP doesn't want to allow that much retiming accuracy. So using a multiple of 25 (50 FPS, maybe?) would let you divide that framerate in half, instead of 25/30ths.

Thank You Daniel for the explanation!