Exporting Video with Sound - Creating a Screencast

Audio Hijack,

loopback looks the like the same old thing just re hashed into another App.

@DBear @MarkHunte

Thanks for the info Darren.

Like Mark I used Audio Hijack sometime ago (worked great). I just gave Loopback a once over and it appears to do what Hijack did plus quite a bit more. But many of the features mentioned are exactly what You can do with Apple’s AudioMidi app (plus SoundFlower) - though as DBear mentions the routing looks easier and no doubt a few more bells & whistles. Rogue Amoeba has always put out great stuff.

Attached is a screenshot of my AudioMidi screen. The initial set-up took a short bit of reading to understand the general principles (I’m not an audio buff) and then experiment (10 minutes total or so) - but after that everything is very straightforward. With the configuration below I can create inputs for apps (e.g. QuickTime, Garageband, Audition), microphones, switch output~speaker systems, etc. One can do a lot more - however my needs are fairly simple. And it’s free.

1 Like

@MarkHunte

Hi Mark!

Sorry, I missed your question earlier… Did you actually install sound flower?

Yes.

The SoundFlower installer places it in: Boot Drive > “Library” > “Extensions” > “Soundflower.kext”

However, unlike as stated in the “ReadMe” file, there were no “supporting files will be installed to /Applications/Soundflower.”

Soundflower apparently is something of an orphan program~project these days with the original creator taking back the reins after a hiatus. Know nothing more about this state of affairs.

So the “AudioMidi” app is (in my case) providing the interface. The main thing is it works. I’ve never had an issue.

Sorry that was aimed at @iantm

I’m circling back. I am following through today, will report back when I get it working!

Any update on exporting video with sound?

bump…

Given that the Hype 4 documentation links to this thread, is it safe to assume that Exporting Video with Sound isn’t going to be a feature any time soon?

The 4k ProRes 422 video export capabilities in Hype 4 Pro are so good, that I wouldn’t want to replace them with a Quicktime screencast. We can manually position sound files in Final Cut Pro (or any other video editor), but it would be good to know if anyone has an easier workaround.

We don’t comment on the release date of specific features (as it is impossible to say how long it would take before the engineering is done!). But this is a definite weakness, and we tend to address those in the feature updates following major versions.

1 Like

+1 for this feature. I just spent good 2 hours searching on what am I doing wrong and how this could be done, only to realize this is not at all supported.

Please do consider adding this, ideally with direct support for audio tracks in the main editor.

2 Likes

Hi Jan!

Welcome to the Forum!

I've requested the "direct support for audio tracks" feature for years. :+1:

You can create a .mp4 audio file which allows display in the Timeline. But there is no native support for waveforms, no timing markers or labels for the Timeline track; all of which makes syncing with animations time consuming.

Not having (at least some of) these types of audio features in an animation program that's been around this long is disappointing. :joy::beer:

1 Like

Well, I am not the only one who has been struggling to find out why the audio did not export with the files…
I found the following simple solution:
Drop the exported movie in Garageband, drop the audio files, you can even add some sound FX and ready to go!

4 Likes

+1 No audio to sync the animation to and no audio on exports makes my life pretty hard currently.

@phrakoobicle

Save your soundtrack as an “.mp4” (not “.m4a”) and drop it into the editor - it will behave like a video only there is no visual… i.e. the track length shows up in the timeline allowing You to create fake timeline actions (Timeline action = “None”) that can act as markers for various sync points, etc. for other elements in the production.

Note: You can simply switch the “.m4a” suffix to “.mp4” on an audio file.

Alternately - and more effectively for involved set-ups - utilize “in~out” point markers with an off screen element which is not used and the only purpose is to create in~out points; sync points etc.

E.G. As in Fig.1 below the “off screen” rectangle has its opacity adjusted at different timeline points which can act as “markers” for in~out points. The “.mp4” soundtrack officially shows up a blank video track with beginning and ending locations showing in the “Properties” on the timeline.

It is absolutely amazing in version 4 of an animation program there still is no direct support for soundtracks or other ancillary elements (such as markers).

Fig.1

I found that I can use the .mp4 generated by Hype as a track in Garageband, then add my audio narration on top of it. Unfortunately, Garageband only exports .mov format, but at least it works and is free. One point of note, Garageband does not like bluetooth microphones - so make sure you use the internal mike or a USB mike for voice overs.

You can do this in iMovie.app and share the file as a mp4 after adding the sound. The one thing I find with this though is you are limited to a few sizes for the file.

The problem is that Hype does a frame by frame export of your document. Internally it actually fires up a "headless" browser and uses a special runtime to jump one frame ahead on each screen grab. Now it stitches all the images together as a video. The missing part would be to extract all audio elements with their audio offsets (moments in time they are triggered) and smush all the audio files together using their respective offsets and audio levels and finally add it to the video as a soundtrack.

As that approach isn't interactive there is also always the option screen record but that approach is vulnerable to "frame drops" and background noises etc.

I wonder if you opt for audio, if it could do two passes. One for the video frames. And then one for the audio, only processing the audio.
And then finally put them together.

Would that still have the same dropped frames opposed to audio

In my opinion, recording audio on a frame basis with mixed sources could work. Recording live (like a screen recording) but with audio channels, could work but also can be interrupted by performance bottlenecks or loading delays and lead to audio outages. But better than nothing, although you probably would have to wait for it in real-time, again because you got mixed sources providers you most likely don't all directly control. In theory, you could just pump up the timer running the show to record faster than real-time but that would entail some sort of virtualization.

The suggestion I made above would be a third route. Just extract all the in points (and audio levels) of audio files based on trigger intentions (like timelines and JavaScript-based actions like custom behavior) and use the audio tracks and files to construct a layered composition based on that and then mix it down. One glaring downside, it only works with audio files Hype knows about… "live/session" based recording on the other hand takes every sound somehow triggered into consideration.

macOS does not make it particularly easy to capture arbitrary audio from web views, like the one we use for video exports. Audio/video synchronization is also a common problem in situations like these (video players really work magic here!); I think we would want to make sure there's the highest fidelity available when folks do a video export. For this reason our approach will be what @MaxZieb has outlined. If we continue to get feedback about missing audio sources which would be outside the scope of Hype's knowledge then we'll revisit the capture method.