Copy paste in the timeline

Hi all. I’m a noob in Hype3. Have just downloaded the trial version today, and trying to switch from Adobe Edge Animate.

My question: Lets say I have 3 graphic elements on the stage. They are automatically placed in separate “layers” in the timeline. I used to animate (slide them from the outside of the stage into view) over, lets say 10 seconds. In Edge, to make them repeat that cycle one more time, I would copy the keyframes from 0 sec. to 10 sec, and paste them in at 12 sec. mark. This pasted them in the same “timeline layers” as the former keyframes, but in Hype, when selecting “Copy” and “Paste with animation”, this creates three duplicate timeline layers. Am I doing something wrong? It would make working with the timeline so much easier in my opinion… :wink: Any suggestions are welcome. Tia. mmasch (noob)

There’s a lot of things you can copy + Paste in Hype. Here’s some of the Element + Animation copying possibilities:

• Entire scenes (Copies all elements and animations, and all timelines)
  • Animations (by selecting the blue bar that represents the animation, which can consist of multiple keyframe animations
  • Timeline actions
  • Individual keyframes, by click + selecting
  • Just Elements (By using just ‘Paste’)
  • Elements and their Animations (Paste with Animations, as you discovered)

For your case, I think you just want to click + select to copy either the individual animation (the blue bar representing the animation) or the individual keyframes themselves and copy that. When you paste, make sure you have the same elements selected to ensure the keyframes are placed in a consistent manner.

Thanks for the tips :+1: I will give it some more tries :slight_smile:

Im working on a long document and when I paste I find it difficult to find where the items is. Are there any tricks to pasting to a particular position in the document?

just two things to mention:

• a pasted element should be selected
  • duplicating stays in plays

Do you mean the element position itself, or where it exists on the timeline?

If you just mean the position - a paste typically will preserve its top/left coordinates (or offset if the original is in that same spot).

I mean the x y position.
I copy button elements from a hype doc into my working doc. The docs are different lengths and finding the button in the working doc is sometimes challenging as I can’t find it

In that case then yes, the left/top values are preserved in a paste. This can sometimes be a bit confusing if the element was in an offset group originally. That said, the element generally should be centered in view and scrolled to in the element list. If you re-select the item in the element list (via command-clicking twice) it should always recenter the element in the view.

If there is some way you're not seeing this behavior, feel free to send the document via Help > Report an Issue… with which element you are copying and where you are pasting and we can look further; I want to fix some undesirable selection/scroll behaviors so this could could also be refined with it potentially.