Copy and paste of additional attributes

What do you want to see in Hype?

• Copy and paste of additional attributes
  • Allow to use tab to jump from field to field
  • Maybe allow even reorder

Have you found a workaround for this problem?

No… I need to manually copy each key and value

Are there examples of other apps with this feature? Or, have you seen examples of this elsewhere on the web? (Please include a URL)

Plenty

How high of a priority is this for you?

[ ] Nice to Have
[ ] Important
[ x ] Can't use Hype without it

4 Likes

Yep, this would be good

2 Likes

yes, it's a goldnugged regarding the possibilities it offers, but a nightmare regarding useability :crazy_face: :see_no_evil: :innocent:

4 Likes

Good request, thanks!

Probably should be something like every inspector category can allow a copy/paste for its attributes.

1 Like

Dearly love the ability to copy/paste attributes! Apologies for being late to the table on this.
I use Final Cut daily and their method is:

1. to highlight the clip you want to copy the attributes from;
  2. Cmd+C
  3. Highlight the clip you want to paste them to
  4. Use Cmd+Shift+V - you then get this dialogue popping up (for instance)

you then check or uncheck the attributes you want copied across. By default it's set to stretch to fit the entirety of the clip but the option to keep the exact timing of effects/ compositing is also there.

HTH?

Lawrence

2 Likes

Every day, I encounter challenges when working with my extensions concerning this topic. Many of them use additional attributes, which means I'm often setting and transferring settings for each key and value individually. The current system allows for simultaneous setting of attributes for multiple identical elements, but it doesn't work if there are slight differences between them. It would be a significant improvement to have the ability to copy, paste, and edit multiple elements at once, even if they have varied attributes.

3 Likes

yes, yes, yes :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Totally agree, I run into this all the time and as @MaxZieb, it can be especially frustrating when build/working with extensions. ( like right now! )

The other thing in addition to this is allow symbols to maintain their addition Attributes on export.
Again very frustrating to have to build them all again from scratch if you are using the symbols attributes.

1 Like

Yes 100%, but this goes much further. There's an imperative discussion we need to have regarding symbol exports. While their functionality seems promising in theory, there's a significant gap - the ability to merge. The way the current system is structured often results in unnecessary duplications.

Now, one might think, "Why not just rename the duplicated functions?" Well, that works up to a point. But when you're importing a symbol multiple times (imagine a card design with specific functionality), renaming doesn't solve the core issue. The function becomes redundant. When you try to eliminate the duplicate from the resources, all references in the second instance get lost in the process. This means that even though the function is essentially the same, its multiple instances cannot be treated as such.

Moreover, there's an inconsistency we need to highlight: the showSceneByNumber function. This functionality is available in the runtime but remains inaccessible in the API, causing further complications in addressing scenes with the same name (rendering them unaddressable in code as we only have showSceneNamed).

To summarize, the heart of the matter is mapping. Without a robust system to map and manage duplicates, we're left with a jumble that hinders efficiency and clean design. For a detailed dive into resolving this merging challenge, here's the feature request and discussion about the merge functionality:

2 Likes

Totally agree, And all this makes it harder to share the symbols with others.
Another issue with symbol functions. You have to trigger them to include them in an export.
This is not always desired.
So then you have to try and engineer the symbols to call all its functions but not use them straight away.

What should happen, on export you are given the option to include ( check boxes in the dialogue ) any functions.

Added with the duplication, that can turn into a bundle of fun. deleting duplicate functions and the trekking through each symbol to reassign them again.

For those of you who not sure what we mean. Go ahead and Import a couple of symbols to a project that has functions attached via on Symbol load.

You will see you get the functions twice. This is not ideal, especially if you want to edit a function after import. So you delete one. But the individual symbols mapped to the one you just deleted is now lost. It will not automatically choose the remains function with the same name. You have to do this manually.

What should happen is if you drop/import a duplicate symbol as described above. Then you should get a warning pop up letting you know a function with the same name as one in the new import exist. Do you want to continue using it and rename it or link to the existing one.

1 Like

This is a good direction, I don't think I was aware of this since I'm not a regular FCPX user. Thanks!

Thanks to everyone else for the feedback as well. It is pretty clear that there's no one solution to how to paste or import certain items when there may be overlapping namespaces. I don't think there's a ton of magic that can be done, an interface similar to this with mapping is probably the way to go.

2 Likes