Controlling the Position of an Element with Java

Is there a way of changing an elements co-ordibation with Java. I would like to move a graphic up or down when I click on a button. I’m trying to do this on a single frame and I don’t want to move along the timeline.

I can see the scripts for finding the co ordinations of a element, but nothing on controlling it.

Sorry if this is an obvious question, but I’m very new and probably still thinking in Flash mythologies.

First, it’s JavaScript. (Java is a different programming language.)

You have lots of possible solutions here. You might not need to create custom JavaScript. Instead, you could use a bunch of options…

Relative starting point - when an element is clicked, a timeline is played and then that actor moves to a specific point.

Multiple Timelines - Basically, you can have more than one timeline, so two sets of animation can be independent of each other.

Symbol - This is basically a self-contained timeline, which can have its own set of animations.

If you want to use JavaScript, then the Get / Set API is probably what you’re looking for. You can “get” an element’s top/left location and then “set” a new value.

1 Like

I have not understood very well. But I think you do not need Jasscript for that. Watch this template with attention to the inspector of actions of the elements “U” and “D”.
controlofelement.hype.zip (16.7 KB)

Thank you to both of you. What I had in mind was a simple javascript line that could be used to re-position an element without having to leave the frame on the timeline. In the end I followed Michael’s lead and used a symbol within a symbol. It’s probably not the most elegant way of doing it - but it seems to work!
Film_Menu.hype.zip (78.6 KB)