Click Tag? I am not familiar and the publisher said it's not working/loading

Good Morning.

I've been using Hype since ver2. Finally, my company asked for HTML5 banners for a paid campaign. The publisher said it's good to go. Then it's not and they are missing a ClickTag? I asked, because of time constraints, to send me the exact that goes in the tag. They sent an example instead. Which, I don't understand. I don't know what service they are using, either. I'm coming here asking for help and will keep the script on hand for the next campaign.
I am totally lost as I see the instructions, and their .html example doesn't look like that at all.

My hype document (one of many different sizes)
300x600.zip (757.1 KB)
The Sample they sent
Kinetic Clarity 160x600-A.zip (29.4 KB)
and the PDF requirement (see last page for their Click Tag Examples)
HTML5-Instructions.pdf.zip (347.4 KB)

thank you and apologies for not understanding .js or how to deploy correctly.

Daniel

Interesting. I'm surprised no one responded to this one. I don't know much about this topic, but perhaps this is the answer you're looking for...

1 Like

Thank you. After multiple attempts and google searching. They (the advertising agency) sent me a link to a validation page. I added the click tag like above. But then the validation page would not recognize .hyperesources folder name – said it was missing. So, going by an old rule, I changed the folder name to "media" copied the path of the .js file to match the .html sample they sent me. Then save, zip and it worked. It passed.

I got all five rendered HTML5 banners to the publisher before 5pm.

And they wanted us to send animated gifs... I couldn't justify it.

In the PDF you shared, this should be included in the 'head':

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8">

function getParameterByName(name) {

name = name.replace(/[\[]/, "\\[").replace(/[\]]/, "\\]");

var regex = new RegExp("[\\?&]" + name + "=([^&#]*)"),

results = regex.exec(location.search);

return results === null ? "" :

decodeURIComponent(results[1].replace(/\+/g, " "));

}

var clickTAG = getParameterByName("clickTAG");

//At this point, the value for the clickthrough URL is stored in the variable "window.clickTAG"

//clickTAGs are case-sensitive, so make sure TAG/Tag/tag is uniform throughout the creative and any supporting files

</script>

You can edit the contents of the <head>…</head> of your exported .html file by clicking on 'Edit HTML Head' in the Document Inspector.

Then you can make a 'mouse click' action to run the following function:

window.open(window.clickTAG)

Honestly, Daniel. Copy and paste in the tag in Hype would have been much easier. Seeing the code above, I still can't tell where the URL is suppose to replace. Especially under stress of a deadline.

< script type="text/javascript">
var clickTag = "URL";
</ script>

wrapped it in the body
< a href="javascript:window.open(window.clickTag)">

(Edit: couldn't get the code to show up..)

changed the folder name to "media" , copy the path into the .html and that's how I got it to work.

The reason they have it setup that way is to be able to provide the parameter via the query string in the URL (as seen via the location.search in the getParameterByName() function).

If you setup their code correctly then you can test by adding something like ?clickTAG=http://example-exit.com to the end of the URL in the browser URL bar.

Also note they assign the variable clickTAG and not clickTag, which is non-standard from what I've seen.

I'm having this same issue Daniel. What validator did they send you? I've added their script but it's not functioning correctly.