Choppy exported video

Hi, I have a document with an inserted 25fps mp4 video, when I export the document as a 25fps video, the inserted video looks choppy compared to the original.

Inspecting the exported video frame by frame, it looks like Hype is removing every other frame from the inserted video.

When previewing the document in a browser, the inserted video looks fine.

Any ideas?

i guess it kind of makes sense,

If hype runs at 30fps and you drop it down to 25 then I would expect the video portion to get chopped also…

But I am no expert on this so I may be wrong

It might be useful to see the .hype document and video you get.

I do believe older versions of Hype did have an issue where it didn’t interpolate the frame rate properly and could look choppy, but this bug was fixed in v3.5.0. If you are running a lesser version, please upgrade to the latest (v3.6.7).

Hi all, thanks for replying!

I’m using of Hype Pro 3.6.7 (596). Here’s the hype document along with the exported video file:

Thanks for the files - very easy to see.

At first I thought the issue was in the video export the frame time we were supplying to the video element did not match the time for the video, but with 25fps it is so cleanly divisible (0.04 for each frame) that is clearly not the problem!

I found the real issue is that the render of the video may not be complete at the time we take the capture; setting the video’s currentTime can simply take a bit of time. I’ve added a delay for capturing if we find a video on the frame, and that solves the problem (as long as the computer isn’t under considerable load).

Unfortunately I don’t think there any way to work around this issue with the current version. Maybe an iMac Pro could solve it :wink:. You’re welcome to join the v4 beta, as this fix will be in the next build.

2 Likes

Thanks Jonathan, can’t wait to give the beta a try! :grinning:

1 Like

Is there a size limit on the kind of videos that can be exported through Hype?

I have a Hype file that has quite a lot of videos in multiple objects on the same page, all being animated (Hype file is 2.3 GB).

It works fine when I preview it in the browser, but the video is cutting out a lot of the animation.

The file also includes a sprite animation which could also be slowing it down. When I publish in the browser, I first need to get the sprite to animate once, and then "start" the animation, to get everything to load properly. How do I do this when exporting to video?

I have tried exporting in both mp4 and mov formats? Would changing the FPS help?

I have a Macbook Pro M1 in case that is relevant.

Thanks!

Wow, sounds like you're really pushing it to the Max -- you may want to just record a browser window previewing your document (Quicktime: File > New Screen Recording). If you can share your doc with us (privately, if you want) we can see if there's anything specific in the document that we can optimize on our side.

Indeed :slight_smile: Screen recording is a great idea. Will try screen recording and if that doesn't work, will reach out for more help. Thanks!