Choosing a Vimeo video from a list

I need to allow users (kids) to select and play a Vimeo video from a list of over 20 videos. The videos are not password protected on Vimeo.

The idea is that users enter a 'pass code' into a dialogue box, and this looks up and triggers a Vimeo video to play in a new scene. Ideally, once the video has played, users are returned to passcode entry form.

e.g. Video passcode = 'SecretFilm1' goes to plays https://vimeo.com/1234567890

I'm a Javascript newbie, so any help will be very much appreciated.

Maybe this helps...

It's meant to work like a video game passcode. It's not meant for security. Since your project doesn't sound like that, this might be what you're looking for.

You probably don't need the Base64 obfuscation either. Instead, if the passcode is correct, then use JavaScript to load the video. You could also change the Hype scene.

Thanks. I have an entry password working. Now I need to look up and play videos.

There's a lot of documentation out there...

This looks like the interesting part...

It's time to start controlling some videos. We've compiled a comprehensive reference of methods and events to make your dreams of absolute power a reality.

So, theoretically, it should just be a matter of plugging the passcode event into Vimeo's methods/events for playing videos. Although, I'm not seeing how the Video is changed. This is surprisingly more complicated than I thought.

I have to get going right now, but I think this problem might be a good candidate for a new Hype Template.

Did you solve the problem? I think there's an easy way to make this work.

Since you have the password system working, what if that just loads the correct scene. Then, it's just a matter of adding the typical Vimeo iFrame / embed HTML to the scene.

It's not a perfect solution, but a more advanced alternative probably involves a lot of coding.

1 Like

Hi... yes, that's exactly what I have done. Thank you.

2 Likes