Changes to PWAs in iOS 17.4

You may have seen these links in the latest edition of the excellent Frontend Focus, but thought this might be useful reading for anyone working on PWA's or web apps with Hype. The gist is that Apple is pushing folks away from full screen web apps on iOS due to security concerns with alternate browser engines, which are now supported in the EU:

Open Letter to Tim Cook: Sabotaging Web Apps is Indefensible — This seeks to halt upcoming changes to PWAs in iOS and Safari for users in the European Union. You can sign it too.

OPEN WEB ADVOCACY

Home Screen Advantage — Alex shares that Apple’s efforts to “maintain its home screen advantage” with these upcoming PWA changes is “a shocking attempt to keep the web from ever emerging as a true threat to the App Store”.

ALEX RUSSELL OPINION

Ionic: A Note on iOS 17.4 and PWAs — What the recent iOS changes mean for users of Ionic Apps.
MIKE HARTINGTON

So, What Exactly Did Apple Break in the EU?
THOMAS STEINER

Apple’s Decision to Drop iPhone Web Apps Comes Under Scrutiny
EMMA ROTH (THE VERGE)

2 Likes

Nevermind :person_shrugging: -- Web apps are sticking around, since Apple thought that offering alt browser architectures meant that all home apps needed to similarly support those alt architectures:

Noooo… those were two good posts. It had a structure similar to Freytag's Pyramid… a beginning, middle, and an end… there was an introduction, drama, and a dramatic conclusion. I was going to reply earlier, but I was having trouble containing my anger. :smile:

Anyway, hooray! :smiley::tada:

I've only experimented with Progressive Web Apps, mainly for two reasons… Apple's slowness to support PWAs and Tumult Hype's slowness to support PWAs :smirk:

It is part of the longterm strategy. I'm seriously considering making some PWA games… a Progressive Web Arcade or Photics Web Arcade. :smile:

Good PWA discussion here… Allow Desktop PWA's

1 Like