Bye Tumult hye!

"I had a great experience with the Tumult Hype team as it provided an interactive HTML5 environment. Now, I am switching to the Godot Engine, a game engine. I have already acquired 200 scripts that offer much more than Tumult Hype. It is free and open source.

It's time for me to go.

Thank you to the Hype team and members.

¿Por qué no los dos? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Godot is a game engine, which has been improving nicely in recent years, but it's not the same tool as Hype. It's like saying, “Goodbye refrigerator, I have a pickup truck with air-conditioning.”

Personally, I've tried to make web games with Godot. Here's an enlightening little experiment that you can try…

• Step #1 — Create a new and blank Godot game
  • Step #2 — Export that game to web
  • Step #3 — Measure the size of the exported files

Unfortunately, even though I like Godot, that was non-starter. I like Tumult's lightweight approach to solving web problems. They definitely need to get moving again, as it's been five years since a major update, but Godot was not a replacement for Hype.

Meanwhile, Hype is not a subscription. I don't have to say goodbye. :smile:

2 Likes

Godot Engine can now do the same as Tumult Hype. I have created more than 200 scripts, some of which I copied from Tumult Hype, and they work very well. I also created a UI inspector to control variables and UI elements, which is much faster than Tumult Hype. Hype cannot create its own UI inspector for faster management. For example, if I want to create a script for a table menu that can handle more than 100 items, Hype can't do it; everything has to be done manually and it's very tedious.

Tumult Hype no longer exists on Windows. I have always worked with Windows but use a MacBook when I leave my house.

Godot can handle physics, interactivity, and everything else.

Regarding animation, it's great.

About subscriptions, it's not my problem. The problem is that my MacBook is very old and not compatible with the latest version of Tumult.

Godot works well for me with the latest version 4.3, really great!

Even 3D and shaders... much superior!

I recognize that Hype is great software, but I already have advanced UI experience and need something more advanced. Godot is the answer for my more complex and precise work.

Well… that is a problem …probably the biggest problem with Hype.

If you use Godot only for games this is probably okay, but for me that wouldn’t be an option as I need an actual HTML output instead of rendering to an canvas and not doing traditional HTML5 …

Did you know that the Godot Engine is not just for creating games? It can also be used to create interactive software. In Godot Engine, you can export to HTML5, which allows you to create shaders. It's incredible.

How old is "very old"? As long as its an Intel Mac (until apple stops supporting intel all together), you can run the latest version of MacOs Sonoma and the upcoming Sequoia with the Open Core Legacy Patcher - OCLP, I'm running Sonoma 14.5 on one of my Late 2008 MacPro, (Cheese grater) just because apple said you can't officially run the latest version, doesn't actually mean you can't and It doesn't take a rocket scientist to make it work. Also, I don't see an impact on performance, it's as if I'm running on the latest Mac. With regard to using Hype, I know there's not many updates as far as features, but know that Hype is still a great app regardless if you found other apps that do certain things better. I know, we know, Hype has a special place in your heart, and you'll still comeback to you using it.

My main machine is maxed out and it's fine for the most part and it's dual booting into Windows 11 Pro if I need to. That said, some weird new versions of apps require AVX2, them being a few Adobe apps Ableton Live 12, (that I know of) just use earlier versions that work and you're good.

It still all happens within a canvas element, similar to how it works in Phaser.js, if I recall correctly. Has its use cases but not for my type of projects.

It looked like it was using WebAssembly.

1 Like

The mistake of Tumult was never seriously embracing games. Flash grew wildly because they embraced games in addition to web development. Apparently, Tumult has a bias against games.

I don't know about that. They did add the Physics API.

Okay, good to know. Keep in mind that WebAssembly allows running compiler-based code in the browser. It is separate from the method used to display content. Godot primarily relies on Canvas with WebGL.

But also because they had a MovieClip instance and duplication, which is still missing in Hype. Hype doesn't take its symbols seriously... they could be stored and used much more efficiently.

1 Like

Collision detection is one of the most important features in game engines, but its importance and usefulness extend beyond games. A simple, practical way for knowing when one object collides with another and then choosing an action from a collection of pre-made behaviors would make a huge difference.

That's on the list… Ideas For Hype 5 Features… …I'm not sure why the Physics API wasn't simplified when the feature was launched.

I created the Photics-Physics-Bridge to make it easier to use Hype's implementation of Matter.js. Although, it doesn't simplify collision detection. I didn't see much interest with version 1.0 so I didn't keep going.

There was also a game jam… 🕹 "Year of Fun" …but not a lot of participants. This is one of the reasons I've been hesitating to write a game development book. (It could be about Hype, Godot, and/or general web games.) Is there really a demand for this anymore? A lot of people seem to be content to endlessly watch short videos online. :smile:

A bunch of games were just launched on YouTube… Playables are now on YouTube - YouTube Blog …and I just wasn't excited about it.