Automatic Image Conversion / Optimization

I would like to design using SVG, but not all browsers support it, so is still better to use jpg or png, but what if hype do automatic conversion from SVG (Or larger Jpg) to JPG at all different sizes, like when some images change size in a responsive layout or retina ready images, then automatically switch the file whenever is required.

Or at least allow to put svg the same way you do with video, a container with .mp4 .webm and .ogv

2 Likes

I like the latter idea. That it is handled the same way videos are. Makes sense and usage is already familiar.

1 Like

Totally agreed; being able to have a standard image fallback (automatic potentially) for a SVG is a really good idea! I’ve added this to our feature tracker.

4 Likes

Is that really necessary? Can I use... Support tables for HTML5, CSS3, etc

IE 9 runs on Windows Vista... VISTA... VISTA... the antediluvian operating system that was widely hated. And yet, even that setup can load SVG images. You'd have to go back to IE 8 to find a browser that doesn't support SVG. That's Windows XP territory... an OS that Microsoft doesn't support anymore*

*Unless you're like the Navy, Navy re-ups with Microsoft for more Windows XP support | Ars Technica

If SVG is converted to an image, the size could be humungous. That's a lot of weight added to a Hype project. How's pre-loading going to work? It seems like a waste of development time.

I think there's a much better use of Tumult's time... CRUNCHING IMAGES! Automatic "Lossless" compression of PNG / JPEG or GIF would dramatically speed up download times. This could be an export option. That would be a much bigger benefit to Hype developers and web visitors.

I'm sympathetic. I understand the importance of compatibility. I even take it to extreme levels. Sometimes I wonder... what if my younger self had a web browser time machine? What if I could load a future version of my website from back in the 90's? If my site was based in Hype... total JavaScript... I might not see anything. (A good example of that experience - try viewing this website without JavaScript.) Shouldn't I try to support the most visitors? It makes me sad to think that my theoretical time traveling self might be greeted by a broken web page.

Yet, in the early days of the web, it wasn't as scary as it is now. Hackers have been incredibly successful and incredibly aggressive in recent years. To be a responsible web developer, I have to stop supporting these ancient web browsers. I've dropped support for IE 8. It's almost end-of-life...

January 12, 2016 - Lifecycle FAQ - Internet Explorer and Microsoft Edge | Microsoft Learn

That's a pretty good guide. If Microsoft doesn't support it, then probably Tumult and other web developers should stop too.

I am not sure I agree with that if from what I was always led to believe was Microsoft aggressively introducing proprietary features intentionally to go against any other standards and browsers that was being set by the W3C. Meaning that developers had to adopt their whole confused mess. : :scream_cat:

That's only an argument against supporting IE 8. If you want to go by browsers that support modern web standards, IE 8 is terrible.

33 out 555 is a horrible score. So, it's weak with HTML5 / CSS 3 features and Microsoft has marked it for end-of-life. Combine those two facts, why would you want to create SVG fallback? What relevant web browsers need this feature?

Lol, I had read the "If Microsoft doesn't support it," as it meaning anything. :blush:

Thats a great link by the way. thanks

[quote="Photics, post:6, topic:3514"]

I agree, remember that Edge Animate by Adobe does not support IE8 since the V1.....

However, recently I receive from some customers a request for the compatibility with IE8. In italy you can find several companies with IE8 because they work with dedicated software made for IE8. Depend on the business place.

1 Like

Ha ha, yeah, I didn't mean "anything". I meant that if a Microsoft product was abandoned by Microsoft, why should we support it?

This is a good reason. I imagine that China is also in a similar situation as Italy.

I feel that these businesses are opening themselves up to risk by staying tethered to older software. Unfortunately, designers and developers usually don't get to set IT policy.

I'm not really familiar with Adobe Edge, other than I didn't like it and went with Hype instead. But if Edge doesn't support IE 8 - and Hype does - then that's leverage for Tumult.

I don't like it, but I can see the logic in it. :smile:

I suspect that IT do not get to set this kind of Policy. Changing some systems can cost multiples of millions to a company.
So many wait until they really,really have to spend that kind of money on top of the money they already spent on the older systems.

So I think you are looking at Bean Counters who make these decisions with advice from IT.

1 Like

Ha, that's true. Yet, if I was in charge of an IT department and I couldn't get everyone off of IE 8, I'd probably be polishing up my resume. That environment is a powder keg. I wouldn't want to be around when it explodes.

1 Like

you can do both things. a specific code for IE8 and the rest for the modern web. Depending on the developer :slight_smile:

Lol,

Ya we are back at the start… :grinning: