Audio Playback issue with FF?


(Geoff) #1

I have a simple project that plays audio on scene load, but I’ve noticed that for some reason the audio doesn’t play in FireFox reliably. I’m using two audio files: mp3 and ogg. My guess is that FF is trying to play the mp3 and not using the ogg files, because I’m getting encoding errors from FF, and if I remove the mp3, FF works fine. Can I only use one format? I was under the impression that Hype would switch formats based on the client…


#2

Can you share your document?

You might be hitting an issue where your server is not using the correct mime types: Fixing broken video, audio, & fonts and configuring your server to correctly serve content under the correct content-type


(Geoff) #3

Hi Daniel – I wondered if Apache was set correctly so I checked and I did find ogg listed in the MimeTypes file (Ubuntu 14), and FF will also play the file if I request it directly from the server. Ogg will also play in FF if I remove the mp3. Here’s a screen shot, but happy to make file available if that helps.


#4

Might be an encoding issue then. Can you share a link to where it is hosted and a small audio file demo in a .hype file?

Thanks,
Daniel


(Geoff) #5

You can see a version here:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/btest/baseball.html

And the Hype file is in the same directory

http://www.exploratorium.edu/baseball/btest/baseball.hype


#6

It looks like the MP3 file was not encoded in a way that the browser could understand. I re-encoded it as an MP3 with Miro Video Converter (it does audio too) and it works now: http://tumult.com/support/temporary/audiotest/testaudio/testaudio2/testaudio2.html

Archive.zip (137.0 KB)

You can drag and drop your mp3 files right into Miro Video Converter to fix them up.

BTW: I’m a huge fan of the Exploratorium!


(Geoff) #7

Thanks Daniel! I’ll try that out and see what happens.

Thanks for the support! We’re pretty interested in how Hype can help us rebuild some old Flash games and this project is a little test. Send me an email and I’ll see if I can hook you up with some passes.


(Geoff) #8

Reconverting the MP3’s fixed the issue – crazy, as the old MP3’s worked in Chrome, but there you go! Thank for the help!