Absolute and Relative Spaces - I'd like to float an idea for a hybrid!

I’ve been using Hype, both for fun and at work for years now and I just cant get enough!

As a dedicated tool for interactive animations it is world class and the interface makes me wish I could complete my full web builds here, rather than retreating to something like bootstrap studio (don’t get me wrong, I have a lot of time for BSS and similar). The issue is of course having to have everything position absolute, in its own phantom div parent in unique z-spaces… of course I get it - that approach makes sense given what Hype was built for, and if we could simply toggle some elements as relative and inline - it could screw up some of the positions of the animations… plus its not the idea of the software… it would take incredible amounts of dev time and lose the product’s core identity somewhat - to steer it into a more all in one solution…

But…

Here’s where I think it could be extended without much compromise:

What if we had a static “base layer”, locked by default to z-index: 0, position: relative, and based on a grid system - the UI for which could work like “symbols”, if you get what I mean, in that it opens up a new panel, but instead of a timeline it could be a simple ‘type-all-your-HTML-in-here’ box initially (maybe developed more in future).

All the animated elements stay in their own z-index as normal, so theoretically both can co-exist
There would be a bit of head scratching for having animations be responsive in tandem with the grid… but perhaps synching up the breakpoints?.. I don’t know… thought it might provoke some discussion. Maybe many users don’t see a need, and would just say well use HTML widget as bottom layer… but no one wants to do this as an iframe! - So maybe it could be an element like an HTML widget, but instead of writing an iframe, it would set itself out as a container div, immediately after the opening body tag with a grid system / bootstrap ready?

I appreciate my idea is probably full of problems but would love to hear the community’s thoughts.

It seams like you are trying to invert things. The open web offers trends like currently responsive and now grid design. My approach would be … just use the web and all its amazing tools (there are a lot of visual builders if you don’t want to code) and put hype animation in there. That does “box” every element but playing with the overflow might do the trick.
Appart of that you can dynamically set the position on resize and move a grouped object around inside a Hype-file base on the width of the hype container emulating a grid.

I agree with both of you (hows that for a cop out) but things like that are worth thinking about.

I am liking where Rapid Weaver is going. There was a time a couple of years ago when there was an over supply of theme and plug in developers who produced stuff that wasn’t very good, but inevitably those get weeded out. The developers of those plug ins who are left now produce some really good stuff.

I am training myself in it now.

Still prefer Hype as much as possible though, because it naturally attracts more creative people than web apps do. We are content creators and/or enhancers, not just packagers. Nothing against packagers where its appropriate.

Thanks for the feedback! Interesting ideas on combining absolute and non-absolute positioning!

I would echo @MaxZieb’s response - particularly in light of the significant (basic) “feature requests” on this Forum and numerous @jonathan responses along the lines of “this is something I’ve wanted to do for some time”.

… And zero “enhanced” audio support (waveforms, audio playing in the Hype interface)…

… And primitive “Resource folder” options… and… and…

While a “relative” + “absolute” interface is sexy I’d rather see Tumult’s creative talents ($$$$) placed in the existent~significant “meat & potatoes” punch list.

Again as per Max - absolute & relative already exist - just use the appropriate (existing) tools for the job!

1 Like

We certainly wouldn’t want it to become one of those apps (Adobe) that tries to become all things to all people and does fewer things really well. Remembering Adobe Ilustrator 88, just about perfect in terms of what they chose to do and what they chose NOT to do. I built a 19 year screen printing business around it, and then when they started piling on the features it became unwieldy, and then of course the subscription model…

2 Likes