• Add duration setting for items in timeline.
• Add draggable visibility handles at start and stop of items in timeline to set when the item is active. (In Hype-speak, a block can represent an object, a grouped objects or an animation in an alternate timeline - essentially an encapsulated animation - editable in its own world similar to a Hype symbol).
• To edit an item, click on it in the timeline, or on its block within the track, or click on the object when it is active on the stage. If it is not currently active on stage, it does not block the selection of items in lower tracks.
• To reposition an item (or multiple items) in time, drag its block in the timeline
• The length in time of an animated object can be shortened from the start or end - content outside of the draggable start and stop points is hidden. A still image (which simply repeats for each frame) can be lengthened or shortened without restriction.
(Note: In AE you can save the entire composition and then drag that into another composition as a single track item. In this form, a composition represents a scene, a series of compositions within a parent timeline/master composition represents an entire animation, plus any items that span scenes are simply laid into the parent composition as normal items in a track.)