Topics on time triggers

I’m looking for an example that would best describe a schedule based on system time. Like say I have 5 events happening throughout the day I want to control the timeline via continue timeline or scenes?

Here's a good time-handling library How to trigger javascript functions in the resourcesFolder on a special day

This is cool, thank you. It’s a bit of a broader topic mostly based on dates as examples, I'm guessing it’s applicable to time too.

1. I want to be able to show the current time
  2. Create up to 4 events that will trigger event to go to new timeline based on system time.

Update:

A hype example would be awesome in this specific scenario as others can benefit from knowing how to trigger events to show up based on what time not date. There was an example based on date but not time.

Did you not explore the library @Daniel pointed you to.

I suppose this would be it, though it's a bit vague from my point of view.

var format = 'hh:mm:ss'
var time = moment();
beforeTime = moment('08:34:00', format);
afterTime = moment('10:34:00', format);

if (time.isBetween(beforeTime, afterTime)) {

console.log('is between 8:34 am and 10:34 am')

} else {

console.log('is not between 8:34am and 10:34 am')

}

https://photics.com/free-template-tuesday-30-tumult-hype-timing/

Looks like the challenge here is the use of minutes and hours. But basically, each second, you could check the hours (and then the minutes) with a conditional. Based on the time values, you could load difference scenes.

What Daniel posted is basically the general idea, but maybe the template helps out.

1 Like

You have one part of it that's already a start. The other would be to like you said "template would help out"

Is this still a problem for you or would you like a Hype template?

I have your existing template with just the time thank you, if you don’t mind, if it’s not too much trouble, create a template that has examples of triggering a timeline based on time at least for two events please, thank you.

I'm working on it. The template should be online by Tuesday.

My example is currently using scenes instead of timelines, but the technique should work with both. It's actually easier to use a single scene, as you won't have to worry about running the same JavaScript twice.

3 Likes

Absolutely awesome! There are so many uses for this template.

On another note, I didn’t see a donations button on your site.

Nope, Photics is not a charity. I sell books and apps. The free templates are marketing. And besides, I'm not sure if the template will solve your problem. If you like the template and it inspires you to buy a copy of Widgets or A Book About Hype, that's cool! If not, that's cool too. The template will still be out there. Maybe it will inspire someone else to buy an app or a book.

I like this template. I even made the lights / windows in the building randomly turn on and off.

2 Likes

Absolutely, I'll def consider buying the book then.

Btw, This whole thing came about when I was staying at an event last week and they had the tv's mounted to the walls. Since it was 2 day event, filled with activities there was so much info on screen and it was poorly designed by some Joe Shmo, it was very hard to read/follow since it had so much bloated info just spat on an image. They did however managed to have the time (chuckles) and something was telling me they had the tv's connected to a computer via HDMI. Since it's a non-profit organization whose sole purpose to host free events for families on religious holidays, I wanted to see how I can contribute by providing a design that works for everyone and do a good deed in the process free of charge.

An idea that just popped in my head, weather condition for the time of the day?

Funny, so by you having a donate button you are automatically associating it with charity? The Templates section could just have it not everything else.

Maybe wait for another coupon code to show up. HA HA. Lulu is known for big sales. But surprisingly, not lately. I'm not sure what's up with that.

Oh, I've had a similar idea recently... weather and time of day banner effects. That's another reason why I created this template. I was trying to explain the idea, but it's easier to show than explain. :smile:

The Widgets app uses the Weather.gov API to get the latest weather data. I use it to load a weather icon / SVG image. That technique could be modified to show a specific weather related banner.

It's not happening. You can blame the Joy of Tech. :smile:

Amen to that, most things are better to show than explain.

:smile: never heard of geek culture.

Pete: Don't consider, you should get it!

3 Likes

@Photics, I wonder being it a lulu exclusive book, is there a sample of it, I want to see how far it goes explaining the different topics/lessons... also are there screenshot/illustrations?

There's a sample PDF link on the official page...

https://photics.com/books/a-book-about-hype/

...and I'm glad that I waited to release the template, since I found an issue with the timer being repeated.

1 Like

Is there a digital version a pdf of this book? I feel like two thirds of the book is pretty much something I won't really be reading bc I don't really consider myself as a beginner. That said, I want to take an environmentally friendly approach to obtaining this book. This way, I can just remove/delete any unwanted pages and always have something to rely on if need be.

Nope.

A digital version is being considered, but that might be months (or years) away — if at all.

It's still months (or years) away — if at all.