Support for webp image format

I suspect then that it is an Mac OS Version thing then.

The Mac I am on is Mojave 10.14.x

I exported it and the webp did show in the exported html. ( as expected , I guess ) Ah, only in Chrome...

well, at least you'll be able to use an exportscript that deletes pngs and jpeg and redirects the requests to the webp-file

3 Likes

That might be it… I am on the new M1 ARM Chip on the latest Mac OS build.

2 Likes

Safari 14 on macOS 11 Big Sur supports webp.

Since Hype uses Safari's rendering engine under the hood and macOS 11 declares this as a valid image format, Hype will import and display this properly* as well. Due to this, even Hype 1.0.0 supports webp on the right OS :slight_smile:.

(* It seems it doesn't put it in a resource library @1x/@2x grouping, so we'll need to fix that bit)

3 Likes

I'm currently using Hype 4.1.8 and I've included a webp image that when exported, either using 'Export as HTML5…' and 'Advanced Export…' (both with and without OrganizedAssets) results in the webp image being converted to jpgs (default and 2x) which are significantly larger in size than the imported webp image.

How can I export a project that uses webp images?

Hype is a bit overzealous in thinking it isn't web-safe-enough since it is a newer format, and always wants to convert it regardless of a size savings.

You can turn off the conversion by selecting the image asset in the Resources Library and unchecking Automatically optimize when exporting.

3 Likes