Snippets Library

1. What do you want to see in Hype?
    Snippets Library as an Application repository to save frequently used javascript functions

2. Have you found a workaround for this problem?
    Yeah, google and find examples in this forum or local hype files with needed functionality

3. Are there examples of other apps with this feature? Or, have you seen examples of this elsewhere on the web? (Please include a URL)
    Dreamweavers has this and it is very useful when coding PHP and having a library of useful snippets.

4. How high of a priority is this for you?

[ X ] Nice to Have
[ ] Important
[ ] Can’t use Hype without it

1 Like

like the idea but it’s the forum for me also there are some great online and offfline tools that do this.

Another nice idea would be a snippets program that can be called via „edit with…“ and then returns a script to Hype.

Or an wrapper program that fetches scripts from a trusted source (growing repository) of snippets.

Best would be Tumult … but gatekeeping and sanitized Code would be a challenge if it’s user generated. But it could be peer reviewed like on the forum when submitting.

… then again it would need the audience. The forum is already pretty slow pace (okay its summer) but one needs to outweigh the benefits against the work. Specially if things require a long term dedication. I often write stuff knowing that it might help only a few Hype users on our small community but it’s like Sudoku to me. Wrapping my mind around a topic is relaxing…

1 Like

same motivation here :wink:

1 Like

if you can, checkout how this is implemented in DreamWeaver. It’s a simple text based library that comes with many commonly used snippets covering different aspects of creating web pages. But what’s key is it allows you to create your own snippets and group them as needed.

Relying on the forum, having to track down prior projects or having to Google search, each time, ignores the benefit of an integral, internal resource that each user can create, manage and have on-demand. Or in other words, it exposes a weakness or opportunity in the Hype environment that can be used to strengthen the product ad create more value to new users.

The idea is effectively two-fold. 1) time saver so you don’t need to search for information you have already deemed valuable in past projects. 2) a library of commonly used Javascripts that promote Hype as the go-to application for efficiently creating an end product.

Additionally, and in similar fashion to the model DW uses, one can export and import these snippets that allows sharing, both between devices like a Laptop and Desktop, but also from a repository managed and filtered by the parent company.

1 Like

Understandable although the snippet library is actually something one could use in multiple apps. Having a dedicated snippets app would certainly have it’s benefits specially the included snippets and tight integration …

… in the meantime look at the following tools:

TextExpander

TeaCode

Same thoughts:

1 Like

Ok,

I have been meaning to pull my finger out and rewrite an app I wrote a few years ago ( sorry for the delay @gasspence) I use for this everyday.

If I do, I intend to make it available to everyone.

Posting here will hopefully get me started on it.

Go for it Mark, I look forward to checking out your app.

1 Like

Thanks for the request.

Without knowing specifically when/if we would add this, I will mention HyperEdit does have a snippets library, so we do already have code for this.

1 Like