Organizing files in resource folder

No, I did not know that…

However, I’ve noticed that if I, for example, go into Photoshop and edit a file that’s already been placed into my scene…it asks to update when I launch or go back to the program.

I just went to the app and did a “show package contents” and saw the resource folders and files there… However, I’ve noticed that if I edit the file that’s outside there, for example if I have it also on the desktop, is it prompting to replace it because it has the same file name?

I got to be honest, LOL, I never figured this out on my own so I’m glad you explained it… I’ve been using it for about 8 days and had no clue how file management worked in this program, LOL…

Thanks
Chris

When you drag and drop a resource into Hype, the file is copied into the resource library and a link is made with the file (based on its location and a hash of the file). When the file is updated by the file system and its contents changes, Hype does what you’ve seen: it asks whether you want to update. (For others who haven’t seen this, here’s a video that shows a process of exporting elements from Sketch and updating their references in Hype after they’ve already been added)

Your .hype file can move all over the place and still retain the link, but as soon as you move the files which you have dropped into Hype, the link will be broken. So retaining that link requires that your resources stay in one place. To relink a file, you would need to click ‘replace’ when a file is selected in the resource library. For your organization, you may want to make a /Documents/Hype Assets/PROJECT NAME/ folder where you place all your assets for which you want links to be retained. Hope that helps explain things!

This is also covered in the Docs.

3 Likes

Actually just sorting by resource Type would be great. Folders are even greater.

Nested folders is a standard feature across many applications. Specifically looking at After Effects and Premiere as a good way to allow users to organize lots of assets in a project. I wouldn’t consider smart folders to be a substitute.

wow… this seemingly fundamental request is now nearly 4 years old. I came here after just inserting 48 images into the resources panel and finding, not just that I can’t organise them into a subfolder, but that each of those images creates it’s own folder even though there’s only one file connected with it (no retina images needed for this project). Not only that, but they are all open by default which means your resources panel suddenly becomes a very long list indeed.

That seems kind of mad to me.

What I did discover is that if you highlight all those subfolders and hit the left arrow key on the keyboard, you can collapse them all at once which is somewhat of a comfort.

Oh… and while I’m at it, the ability to drag a folder into the resources panel which would appear as a folder would be very handy. Particularly if you’re going Hype insists on every image being forced to be in its own folder.

3 Likes

Back into Hype after a long period of inactivity. I really enjoy working with Hype again. But the resource folder is not one of my favourites.

I am working on a large project with tons of images etc. Some sort of organisation of the resources would be a lifesaver. Are there any developments that I have missed?

You can filter and search the resource library if you need to change any resource settings. If you need to organize your resources in folders do that in your specific project folder. As long as you keep the file paths the same Hype even recognizes updates when files or modified at the original import location (hence your file/folder structure).

If you need to work in a team just in a Local Area Network, just place project folder on a Network Attached Storage or shared volume.

Would be nice if there was an option to reconnect files to import location much like in Premiere. And if that feature would be intelligent like in Premiere it would recognize all files relative to the new location if they also lost connection.

Meaning a structure like

Volume A
|-- Subfolder A
|        File1.jpg
|        File2.jpg
|
|-- Subfolder B
         File3.jpg

would be moved to Volume B breaking all connection. Now we can reconnect a file (a new option in the resource panel). Let us say we reconnect File3.jpg Hype then checks all other unconnected resources and if the exist in the same relative structure in the new location. Meaning if File1.jpg is not connected (that should be the case we move to Volume B) is present under ../Subfolder A/File1.jpg (relative path from the use reconnected File1.jpg). If that is the case it reconnects that to and so on… This would be a pretty solid solution for having custom Folder structures and update-ability with external editors that just overwrite files in the external original files triggering Hype to “sense” a change and offer to reimport. We would need a little and subtle indicator on each file if it currently is linked to an original source outside. Subtle because it’s a nice feature for Pro’s but not mandatory to keep that link fresh.

Mock up of such an indicator:

If one doesn’t want a red dot (as it transports urgency) one could stick to a grey dot for connected elements and no dot for unconnected.

2 Likes

Thanks for your reply and explanation. Just different and less intuitive than I’am used to, but is workable for sure. Have to get used to this workflow.
Thanks again!

Olav

Thanks for the feedback! (Resource Library overhaul was originally meant to be a part of v4.0.0, as a basic idea of our priority on it)

6 Likes

Hi Jonathan

Is this still being taken into consideration for the next Hype release?

1 Like

Just an ‘collapse all’ option for starters would be really, really nice to have. :grimacing:

1 Like

We don't make specific promises on features/release dates, but definitely know that the resource library needs a bit of an overhaul!

5 Likes

Organizing files in the resource panel is still a pain point for me. So I went looking for a better way to organize my image files.

I found that SVG symbols (not Hype symbols) are a useful way to pack all your external SVGs into a single file and still be able to resize and restyle them on a per-instance basis.

I made a quick explainer video that describes how to do this. Check it out here.

Enjoy!

Demo project from the video: SVG_symbols_fromSameSymboWithDifferentStyles.hype.zip (31.1 KB)

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing this.

Same here, Thanks for sharing! Funny how sometimes things click in the universe. I was just writing and revisiting Texture Packer sprites when you published your video. Another tool: You can also have a look at this if you're an Illustrator user (https://gum.co/Kmsbd)

Very cool technique! Any chance you could post the sample document?

The https://icomoon.io/app/#/select Will build them for you

I've added one of the demo projects from the video to the original post above.

1 Like

Interesting article on a very similar concept: