Ideas For Hype 5 Features…

It would be cool to have a built in library

But in the mean time checkout ta work around.

https://forums.tumult.com/t/use-shortcuts-app-for-snippet-library/

Which is working really well for me and make things more productive.

A snippet library within hype would be great

But im also wondering about if hype also had its own shortcut actions to import , convert import, load symbols, export ...( thinking aloud )

It goes without saying. A labelling/ argument system on timeline actions that call javascript would be really handy in conditional function calls. ( yes there are hacks but a native system would be better)

Gonna say it.
Better coding support.
One of the only reasons I will ever edit a function outside of hype ( and because I hate having to go outside of an app to do a task I should be able do within the app) is to try and find the end or beginning of a closure.
Such a simple thing but one of the most common errors is an unexpected ')' or '}'

Yes a lot of the time this us because you are cutting or pasting which lets be honest we all do...

But finding the error can be ten times as hard to figure out without being able to find closures beginning and start.

2 Likes

That's why I use Visual Studio Code with my Hype projects…

• Cleans up the code formatting instantly
• highlights code errors
• Removes pesky tabs! :smile:

:bread::slightly_smiling_face::tada:

That implies at least some physics improvements. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Fc@k .. yes please..

1 Like

That snippet tool is already very much what I’m looking for! Thanks

Ofcourse it would be neater if it was something within Hype, but this is nice already for adding in all the dailies

2 Likes

Here's another idea, just throwing out there… Should the Hype runtime (or the whole Hype Project) use strict-mode?

The article says this…

Fixes mistakes that make it difficult for JavaScript engines to perform optimizations: strict mode code can sometimes be made to run faster than identical code that's not strict mode.

Faster sounds nice. :smile:

1 Like

Here's yet another idea, just thrown out there… export to single file.

This idea was sorta discussed here…

I've been thinking of a topic for the next Photics book. Since ePub is the focus, I was considering the possibility of interactivity. To start things off, I simply tried getting the current time with JavaScript. It was pretty easy.

But when I tried to add the “Timing” template… Free Template Tuesday #30 – Tumult Hype “Timing” – Photics.com …as a test of what's possible with ePub, I couldn't get it to work.

The problem is that Hype has a directory structure… specifically .hyperesources …but I couldn't add directories in the Calibre. I'm going to experiment with that some more, but it just seems like it would be more ideal if Hype exported to a single file… probably a single HTML file …similar to .swf when Flash was popular.

UPDATE — I was able to flatten the directory structure, so that's not a problem. Yet, I still wasn't able to get a Hype project to work in an ePub using Calibre. So, I suppose those are two separate features.

• Single file exporting
  • Export to ePub — which was mentioned above, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

There was some discussion about exporting to ePub… Export scenes to EPUB3 …but it was centered around OAM Widget & InDesign.

1 Like

I've considered this, but it is a pretty low priority since the runtime is big enough that any possible performance benefits are unclear from the outset. There's of course other benefits, but it's the type of thing that just can become a big rabbit-hole when the project didn't start this way.

Definitely, I think my question is on appropriate guard-rails. (Like you wouldn't want a large video to be inlined!)

Hype can't export to XML natively, so any ePub export would be pretty opinionated about how it decides to wrap the Hype HTML export and provide lots of settings to setup the book. (Not saying no, just that I know any first version won't be able to handle everyone's use cases...)

1 Like

Also, I'm not sure if i'm the only one, but I'm ending up using the Hype rectangles more and more to write out big pieces of Html and css. It would be super if we would be able to to get a bigger more convenient code editor for this just like the head part, or even options to edit it with an IDE just like editing scripts.

4 Likes

Me too,
Im using rects to do this all the time.

One reason but not limited to, is I do not have to keep jumping back and forth between the head and the scene.
It would be great if we had a css editor pane. But with room to see what you are doing rather than the small and limited area like the attributes editor.
Wordpress has such a panel in its customise setting settings that is a strip

Honestly would be a boon, and I would not object if it opened up on the left hand side of an Hype Document as is done with WP.

2 Likes

While the concept of a dedicated CSS tab may seem similar to the existing Head HTML functionality, there are several feature requests that, if implemented, could offer a more versatile solution:

1. The ability to utilize Hype in a multi-monitor setup by allowing the undocking of tabs such as scenes or Head HTML. This would greatly enhance the user experience for those working with extended desktops.

2. The option to designate specific files for integration into the generated JavaScript. This could be within the *_hype_generated_script.js file or embedded inline, as determined by the advanced export settings or an export script. The advantage here is the flexibility to bundle any JavaScript or CSS files from resources directly. For CSS integration, currently, one would need to employ JavaScript to insert the code into Head HTML. However, this process could be streamlined if the runtime were equipped with a feature to handle it automatically. The inclusion order would probably need management (either order or priority), though.

2 Likes

Totally agree with. ( 1 )

Yep.

I had hummed and erred about spelling that out :grinning:, as I took it as a given that with the inclusion of using a side panel as shown, it would be a given to included the css into the head inline at export time or a generated resource linked file again export time or a direct integration within the *_hype_generated_script.js at export time.
So absolutely yes, that's the idea , but I did not want to get into the possible pros and cons of fine detail of what would work best for to Tumult consider doing this and honestly I would be happy with what ever thy did (I think) as long as I got the css panel. ( and yes a add/edit css option in the resources much like the functions option)

1 Like

Certainly, you can cause significant disruptions with CSS in the current version of Hype, as the layout presently relies on the cumbersome use of inline styles and even more problematic container divs. This setup would lead to a nightmare of specificity and layout shifts since the bounding boxes aren't integrated into the HTML WebKit but are instead superimposed. As a result, calculations are based on known values rather than dynamic lookups, such as getComputedStyle. Consequently, any alterations to the layout would necessitate the use of !important, leading to a misalignment with the Hype interface. Moreover, achieving the correct stacking order would prove unfeasible. The level of frustration would be intolerable without a comprehensive overhaul. Although it's a relief that CSS can be loaded as it stands and is effectively applied within the IDE, realistically, the prospect of this advancement being incorporated into Hype seems slim in the near term. However, a significant modernization in Hype 5, potentially even with some disruptive changes, would be welcome. In my view, such an update would be beneficial, allowing older projects to remain accessible in Hype 4

2 Likes

There seems to be some activity going on with Matter.js. There's a "Performance" branch. Also, something about "sub-stepping" was mentioned in the Continuous Collision Detection thread.

The bouncing issue is still open, but there's been some discussion about workarounds…

2 Likes

Ah cool, thanks for pointing this out. It looks like there are commits that have been merged in from this branch.

I guess substepping is more viable with improved performance, but it still won't fix all passing through walls.

Well, the basic tip from the last post is substepping! Likewise, I don't think this will solve the problem, but may just help it out a bit (though I'm not actually clear why).

If I could add to this topic, here is my top features :

• Better masking. Ability to use a layer as a mask or to draw a custom mask would be my no 1.
  • Library. Import and share, to be able to store symbols or elements (with a preview) that are used often and just drag/drop them on the scene. (I'm thinking for ad creation and brand assets here)
  • Applescript support. It's really hard to automate task right now and would be great if we could call hype to do stuff (I'm thinking replacing assets, creating symbols, bulk exporting with export scripts etc). Again, this is for automation purpose.
  • Assets swapping on stage. Being able to swap images or symbol on a timeline so it keeps the animation and everything else.
  • Performance. When duplicating the same symbol multiple times (ex: to create rain or particles effects) hype become really slow because it tries to play every instances of the symbol at the same time. It's fine when exporting, but working in the document is really difficult.
  • Plugins. I know it's a hard one, but being able to create and install plugins would be game changer. Other people could help level up Hype features.
  • Bones would be great, or anything to animate characters

I'm coming from a lot of years doing Flash, so i really miss those kind of features.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! One small note:

For symbols, note that you can import/export them via the Symbol menu, and therefore it is possible to build up a library in the Finder.

Added “Custom Loading Screen” as discussed here… Hidden Hype Settings… - #11 by Photics

Do you use the Hype “loading indicator”

• No — Don't Need It
  • No — Don't Like It
  • Yes — I like it
  • Yes — But it could be better
0 voters

Yes i've tried that, but here is my concerns :

1- Diffucult to manage with a bigger team. That makes a lot of files that each person must have on their computer and manage. If we update the symbols, it's hard to make sure everybody has the right files.
2- There is no preview of the symbol in the finder, which make it harder to recognise what that symbol is.

I've made a plugin in Photoshop that allows us to manage assets easily and use them in our documents. There is a preview of each file and evety team is sync with this plugin, so everybody has the lastest version everytime. You can see an exemple here. It would be great to have that in hype, either built-in or a plugin system to make that kind of thing possible from someone else.

Screenshot 2024-04-16 at 14.47.47

1 Like

Code+Ai

1 Like

Agree, using <iframe> in the App to link hype-files published on the web as html, is for me the only solution for now to embed quizzes made in hype, and it comes with some limitations. A straightforward and built-in Advanced Export To App would be a top feature request.

1 Like