HYPE-xxx.full.min.js for newbies

For a non-coder, could you please explain why Hype always exports the full JS runtime (94 Kb) and not only what it needs to run the animation? Would it be possible to export only what it needs in order to optimise the weight for banner ads? Could be an option in the export options.

I know all the stuff related to hosting the RT on a CDN or locally.

I read the documentation but I can't find an explanation on
what is a runtime
why it is always exported?
I already have an answer that I give to my training attendees who are not coders but a alternate explanation would help me to better explain.

Thank you.

you can do an advanced-export that excudes full.min.js when disabling ie 6-9 ... this'll only work if full.min is not needed for animation though ...

this should exist as a request ... if i remember it right.

Even if I disable the IE6-9 support, there is still a HYPE-720.thin.min.js file (57 Kb) via an Advanced Export despite the fact that the Hype project contains nothing but an image doing nothing and being not interactive.

There are two versions of the runtime. "Thin" is the lightweight version, which is why it showed up when you only added a picture. If you're using advanced Hype features, it should use the "Full" one... and additional ones, like Physics, might be added

The Hype runtime is lightweight, but it's not the most optimized piece of software ever. You found one of the weak spots. It would be great if the runtime was optimized based exactly on which features you used.

I think this is a known issue. It's also a difficult issue. You can verify this by looking at the original code...

hype-show-package-contents

It's in the "Show Package Contents" of the App.

The HYPE.thin.js file is thousands of lines long. Sure, it would be nice if it automatically made the runtime even thinner, but that's a heavy lift.

Yes, it's a request from ads makers who find the CDN method complicated or because the CDN method is forbidden and they would like that the file is the lightest possible without losing ± 75 Kb whilst ads, on most platforms, can't be more than 150 Kb. So even the lightest ad as 50% of the space used by a runtime that is unnecessary heavy.

Maybe Hype isn't the right tool for your project.

God… :roll_eyes:
It was an example to prove that the 75 Kb runtime was present even if there is nothing animated/interactive in the project!

Exactly why Hype mightn't be the right tool for your project!!! :roll_eyes:

@branislavmilics point is to modular construct the export. Just include modules that are necessary for a document. At the moment Hypes minimal runtime included is the thin.min-file.

So it's a feature request and branded as such :slight_smile: everything is fine

Currently, Hype's export does not know what you may do with a document even if it is seemingly empty -- having an API means that we must include all API facilities.

As others have mentioned in the thread, it is a good feature request to provide more export possibilities for further size reductions -- along with a more pure and SEO-friendly HTML structure output.

Hey now :wink:.

Okay, it can always be optimized more -- but I will make a strong point that nearly every release we have worked quite a lot to keep the size down and find all kinds of tricks to use!

But really, there's also a point where feature variant differences may be outweighed by caching and CDN-ability.

How ads calculate weight is just plainly broken. Having n! different possibilities means that it couldn't be on a CDN, and then ends up counting as file weight in ads. And the flip side is that Hype, in trying to be intelligent about splitting up between a thin/full to only deliver on-demand the required one means both get included as ad weight, even though only one would ever go to visitors.

Sounds like this is the worst of both worlds as described above :frowning:.

This post hopefully sheds a little more light on the analysis which determines thin vs. full: