Cannot Save if Video is added to the Stage on Networked Server

Sorry I should have done that a test with video on my system but since I had so much trouble with sierra etc I made the assumption that it was related to sierra and smb.

I tested again with a video file.

I think those folders are related to version control and or save in place.

I added a video and then started getting a version control message about the changes could not be auto saved. When I did a save I got cannot be saved because the location of the original could not be found. …Save as option was offered.

I noticed that I was getting the temp folder showing up and disappearing and the original file not visible.
The temp files after about 10 seconds disappeared completely and the original popped back and I was then able to save.

If I can find another App that saves to file package I will test that and see if it does the same thing.

Yeah R.E the temp files, I see them all the time when saving to the my local drive, but the save is so quick it is very brief, then when the save is complete it disappears again. This behaviour is the same if I save over SMB.

For some reason via AFP on the NAS they are not getting cleaned up and a folder is left for each consecutive save.

I cannot test afp here. I only have smb.

I have never noticed them before.

I just tested Pages.app Opening a save file from the volume space and then adding a video.

I get the temp folders but no real delay. But I think any delay is going to be inconsistent depending on network load

It’s interesting that pages doesn’t have the option to ‘Show Package Contents’ once it has been saved unlike a HYPE file does.

I’ve never really liked the way a HYPE file packages up all the images and video files into a single file package, I already have a folder for images and a folder for video, etc so for me this is just needless duplication. If the HYPE file just contained the code for scripts etc then it would probably solve this problem and run much faster when saving files.

I think what may be happening (with AFP) is that on save it has to duplicate the package and rewrite all the image and video files back again and then reapply their permissions, on the local drive this is quite a fast process but on the NAS it is doing this over the network which is slowing everything down.

With the video issue not saving over SMB due to the ‘file being locked’ though is a mystery.

Latest Update: My IT server guys have been looking into this and they have been able to turn on an NFS connection to the NAS. I can report that apart from the stray folders being left behind the HYPE files that contain video do now save correctly and quickly.

Apparently the reason for this is that NFS strips away all user and permission info. However according to our IT this is now a security risk for us so testing is still ongoing to see if they will let us permanently connect in this way.

1 Like