Another getter/setter (fun)

Here’s one that uses a paddle to bounce a ball using mousedown & mouseup actions (I’ve almost gotten the ball to go to the top)

how_high.hype.zip (11.8 KB)

1 Like

nice idea Greg, seems that interest for physics has mostly been gone … over the past half year

I still have an interest in using Physics, but I agree that it has lost some of its charm. Probably because there hasn't been anything new added to Physics in quite some time. The project above is using Physics on the ball and I don't think you could get the same response out of the paddle with a timeline. The get/set option on the paddle is almost instant, and therefore very responsive.

1 Like

i think in common websites physics isn´t used very much. the reason is, that on a desktop screen all things are falling down automatically :smile:
the only thing to use physics is in creating apps, games - in my opinion.

1 Like

main thing here is the ‘out of control’-feature :wink: for elements using physics.
The actually big aim clearly is to support ad-productionworkflows and yes I guess this’ll be a big chance for hype.

1 Like

I wonder if you could use physics with waypoints to create a fun navigation for a site like a paddleball?
Or create a really unique Rube Goldberg machine navigation perhaps?

[quote=“nick, post:6, topic:4086”]
use physics with waypoints
[/quote]I just tried it and it works. When the element leaves the viewport the next scene opens as expected – YAY!

1 Like

Awesome!!! That could prove for some great UI widgets.
I love taking features that were made for something else (like games and apps) and seeing how they can be adapted for other uses. This is good news!

1 Like

(I think we are going off topic from the original post.)

Well, maybe not. When the element leaves the first viewport, it does not 'travel' into the next scene. So when you use Physics (gravity) to let the element free fall, it goes beyond the browsers viewport and triggers the next scene to open but the element is simply gone (out of sight) if there was no 'static wall' to stop it. If you set the element to drag, you cannot drag it past the scene border.

But, you could fake it by having an identical element in the next scene to take over the original elements position. I imagine that could get messy pretty quick tho.

(I think we are going off topic from the original post.) probably :wink:

But I did get spurred on to look at the getter setter features a bit more.
I have been doing a lot of work with manufacturing simulations using Hype and the getter setter feature has a lot of potential for me.

“But, you could fake it by having an identical element in the next scene to take over the original elements position. I imagine that could get messy pretty quick tho.”

Does the set method work on different scenes?
Could you take the physics object by id and set it at a new position on a new scene after it reaches the edge of the first one?

Not as far as I can see Nick, the element only exists in the scene it was created in.

I did try it with a jQuery draggable which allows you to drag the element off the Hype scene, but it still does not allow you to drag the element into another scene.

it works :slight_smile: though waypoints, or hype, or in combination reactiontime is a bit slow …fallNav.hype.zip (17.9 KB)

2 Likes

Pretty cool Hans, it will ignore static elements outside of the Symbol but it does show in the next scene.

Wow, that’s a creative combination of features - very cool effect. For fun I put a “control element position” on the ball and then held onto it until I wanted to go to the next scene :).

Well, Hype 3.5 has created new possibilities for game development. I certainly haven't lost interest in Hype Physics...

I'm waiting for Hype 3.5 to launch so I can post more in that thread.

The only problem with Physics is that it's intentionally limited. If there was a get/set API for Physics, similar to getElementProperty() and setElementProperty(), that's game development city! (Collision detection events are big too.)

I created two mini games with Hype already. One is the slide puzzle...

Another seems similar to what's being discussed here...

4 Likes

With the help of @MarkHunte, @DBear and @nick. I added a 15 second Timer/Reload option and a scoring method.

how_high2.hype.zip (15.0 KB)

2 Likes

Some more fun on the same theme.

I am using my custom cursor to bounce the ball. I could not find a good way to trigger a score so I used @h_classen h_classen timer from his Pacman game. ( hope you don’t mind )

I found a neat way of stopping the timer. I used waypoints on a suspended bridge hidden behind the bottom element.
The force of the ball dropping on it is balanced to send it crashing down off scene. Which triggers the exit Scene waypoint.

BatCursor2.hypetemplate.zip (32.5 KB)

Even though I made the thing my best length of time keeping the ball up is 53 second !!

Updates:

I’ve updated the batCursor - Bat Cursor to have a reload.
Added a transition scene so when the Game first loads it gives you time to be ready.
Added Baffled walls.

1 Like

I like it, that is clever Mark.

1 Like