3D Reality Converter---Interesting?

links to an interesting article https://graphics.pixar.com/usd/docs/index.html

Does anyone know anything about this----possible relevance to Hype?

1 Like

Cool!

I haven’t looked into it too deeply, but presently USDZ files can be embedded as inner html for elements in Hype. I don’t immediately see any javascript APIs for control that Hype could hook into, but there is a request for three.js to add something like this.

Ah, I think we talked about this a while back...

I got an alert about it from Apple's Developer News RSS feed. Basically, this site...

I know Apple is really focusing on AR/VR, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use this stuff yet. Like the Mac Pro, it was kinda neat to look at it virtually from my iPhone. But wow, my phone started running hot. HA HA. It was cool to get excited about new tech again, but no one else I know seemed to care. I tried showing it to people, not really impressed.

Like a tech demos at WWDC, they waste like 5-10 minutes, but I don't even remember the game's name.

A good comparison is motion controllers. Lot of of that tech is sitting in landfills right now. The Wii got it right. Wii Sports was something different. And yet, it faded like the Pet Rock.

So then I think about the iPhone. Touch really worked, but it wasn't until games like Angry Birds and Fruit Ninja did it really catch on. Cheap 99¢ games and a new way to play, that's a big part of why the iPhone is so popular. I've been thinking a lot about what's the next big thing. I keep seeing AR/VR mentioned. But eh, it's not there yet. What's the Angry Birds of augmented reality?

Pokemon Go? Was that it? Is it over now? :stuck_out_tongue:

I can imagine hypes ui interacting with three.js that would mean boat load of time spent integrating it into hype. But it would be amazing to see it in hype. I remember had a plugin for flash “swish” back In the day.

Thinking about it, I am beginning to see 3D stuff being overused in some ads, to the point of being intrusive and distracting. Just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Anything can be over-used.

1 Like

This applies not only to 3d stuff, but also to the color scheme, sound and other…

Thanks for sharing your point of view. As you can tell, I disagree. Why? We see things in 3D, we interact with games that are in 3D, we use to fake 3D before in movies now we embrace and integrate 3D applications to make movies as part of our workflow. We’re all about sound and making an everlasting impression and an unforgettable experience. We’re emulating nature using 3D because it’s the only thing that’s relatable to us humans. I get that sometimes its just too much with 3D. Btw, 2D is relatable too its just artificial and at times boring for someone like myself, but if its integrated with say 3D its a game changer :wink:

I don’t disagree with the value of 3D, I have created some “fake” versions in Hype, and I don’t disagree with your reasoning, I was just making an observation after seeing some bad ads, where the medium overwhelms the message, and end up saying to myself: why do I remember the colliding, spinning, exploding 3D graphics, and nothing about the product they were try to sell. That’s all I was trying to say.

2 Likes

All is well my friend :blush:. As you can also tell I’m a major proponent of “3D’fying” the experience when it comes to ads, If done correctly of course and with a great attention to detail.
Might I ask what ad in particular were you referring to that just doesn’t work or it’s overused? An example would be great but I can live without :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Not at this point because I purge them from my brain, but I will try to do that in the future? Sort of a hall of shame, 99% from tv!