Questions about Symbols and adding objects to specific timelines

Hi. I’m playing around with Symbols and Symbol timelines. I have a few questions:

Is it possible to create a new timeline for a Symbol and add an object to that timeline that won’t appear in the main timeline (or other timelines) for that Symbol?

When I tried to create an object in a new timeline for a Symbol, that object was added to all timelines for that Symbol.

If it’s not possible to add an object that will just appear in one timeline, I’d like to suggest that as a feature. Maybe the way to implement it is the following: make any object in the main timeline appear in all timelines. But allow objects added to other timelines to appear only in those timelines.

I think it might be a useful feature. Right now, if I want an object to only appear in one of a Symbol’s timelines, I have to hide that object in the other timelines by changing its opacity to 0%. But that gets complicated if I have a bunch of objects I need to hide like that.

Please let me know if there is already a way to add objects only to specific timelines. Maybe it’s already a feature but I’m doing something wrong.

Thanks!

Update I suppose this feature request would also be for scene timelines.

You are correct that setting the opacity of the element to 0% and then fading it in on the timeline you want it to appear on is currently the best options. We hope to make this easier in the next big update. Thanks for the suggestion!

Stephen, thanks for the reply and for considering my feature request. I look forward to the next big update!

Hi. I just downloaded Hype 3.5. I haven’t tried it yet. However, I saw a list of the new features, and one was “Ability to show/hide elements during animations.” So, I’m wondering: is that the feature I was suggesting in this thread?

Thanks!

Not sure how you lasted from March 28th until now to try Hype. Welcome!

The new display feature does answer your request in this thread :slight_smile:

More info on the feature: http://tumult.com/hype/documentation/3.0/#opacity-hiding-and-locking-elements

Daniel, hi. I’ve used Hype for projects in the past, but I haven’t had any projects in the last year, so I haven’t used Hype 3 much, other than to play around with it.

I just read the part of the documentation that you linked to, but I am still a bit confused.

So, just to go back to my initial question: Is it possible to create a new timeline for a Symbol and add an object to that timeline that won’t appear in the main timeline (or other timelines) for that Symbol?

If it’s now possible, how would I do it with the new display features that you referred to?

I probably need to play around with Hype 3.5 to understand the new features. But it’d be great if you could give me a little more guidance.

Thanks!

You would set the 'display' to hidden on the Main Timeline of the symbol, so you symbol will appear initially with the element hidden. Then, you can use that symbol's additional timelines to create a keyframe that makes the element 'display' at the moment you want it to.

Great! Daniel, thanks for elaborating.

1 Like