Multiple KeyUp KeyDown Combinations - Tangible Interface

I’m using a javascript library (https://github.com/cotejp/TangibleKeyboard) to control my animation based on KeyUp/Down from sensors. All is working great in my prototype except in real use I will always have a key that is left in the down state. This is preventing my events from firing correctly. You can see what I’m trying to accomplish in a 45 second video here. I made this video in hype and was able to fake it using two keyboards and releasing all keys before my next interaction - not possible in production environment. The javascript is actually very simple in my hype file but it’s not quite doing the trick. Here is the hype file proof_concept_006.hype.zip (137.3 KB)

Maybe my approach is wrong, maybe just need a little javascript tweaking. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Hi @drake

Not sure I'm following correctly.

What are the sensors?

How do users interact? Using a keyboard?

I must admit the video didn't help clarify the situation :smile: However, I'll look at your Hype file and see if that helps. Can you elaborate little more. Why use the library for example? Any reason?

@DBear This is for a trade show booth. The sensors are magnetic sensors and detect switches - in effect doing the same thing as a key on a keyboard. The emulator allows you to assign “keys” to the sensors. Instead of pressing a key and holding it down, I’m using a sensor.

The users interact with notched cards and a slider but I test with a keyboard (or two) - same result.

I’m not married to the library it just made it easy for me to create the combinations. Also, it has a couple of nice features. 1. It prevents multiple keydowns when a key is held down. 2. It deactivates browser functions tied by default to certain keys.