Groups on a timeline

I miss the palettes... but still love the program.

I can work three to four times faster in AE. It isn’t as cool and I miss the features of Motion, but my workload is like navigating a herd of stampeding buffalo – frantic from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., with time for lunch only two to three times a week Stupifying, but real.

Apple tends to have a tunnel-visioned approach. With the overwhelming popularity of laptops Apple didn’t see a need to continue its more vigorous support for multiple monitor rigs so instead of continuing something that would be appreciated by its serious pro users, it just lumps everyone into the basket. I remember how great iMovie used to be - it was enormously appealing. Even kids were using (and teachers, which is special because they are usually far too overwhelmed by the workload to spend time learning such an app). It was extremely intuitive. I used to demo the app for Apple when it first came out. Shoppers were blown away at how fast they could assemble a movie.

When Apple brought in the professional video guy to redesign it and they took the cool new cutting edge approach that filled the screen with an ocean of still frames, they killed off a vast number of users who were confused by all the visual clutter. Many people love the new version, but I would not put it in front of a teacher or an elementary school kid and ask them to guess how to use it.

Apple has always had an ivory tower approach and I’ve been using their products since 1989. Over the past 15 years (right up to today) I become nervous when upgrading anything from Apple because of what useful features might disappear.

2 Likes

Double dittos on that one. Apple user since 1983, Mac since 1988. I long for the days when the Apple Human Interface Guide was the bible. I have an original printed book.

They took their biggest advantage and started chopping away at it piece by piece. Probably most current users never heard of it.

In the New World, its considered cool to choose Different and New over Better, it seems.

Ah well, must have caught me on a grouchy day.

But the Hype guys stick with those guidlines better than any one else. No one is perfect but…

2 Likes

I’ve heard it mentioned elsewhere on the forums but if Hype could incorporate dockable palettes it would make my life easier. I am a dual monitor guy and I like to have everything open and in a specific place on the screen so that I can instantly reach for it, click and go. Digging through tabs, expanding and then collapsing inspectors to see the stage again, etc., — this creates a productivity hit for me. It certainly makes a big difference with all my Adobe apps (and I use seven of them constantly).

1 Like

And other set of dittoes. I also use dual monitors , 1 19 inch and 1 21 inch. I still find myself doing a lot of expanding and collapsing of inspectors and panes within the main window… And I have just never gotten comfortable with the widescreen view. I should give it a try more often.