Data attribute support

This one would be really helpful.
If only we could add data attributes the same way we can add classes, it would prevent creating a a bunch of useless javascript each time we want to.

Thanks.

3 Likes

It would great to know a little bit more about how you’re using Data Attributes and how you’d like Hype fit into your workflow. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hi Daniel, and sorry for the late answer.
I had no time to build you some example in hype, but I will as soon as I can.

For this request, I was dreaming about that ability to assign data attributes to symbols with the same ui as custom behaviours, so a textfield for naming the data attribute and then a second one to assign a value to it. The reason why, here’s an example :

I want to create an ui counter item symbol, as a module with it’s own mechanic . Let’s say I code few javascript functions which are loaded on my symbol “On load”. By assigning a data-value=5, my script will assign 5 as a default value for this ui item. Now, if I want to have another drag item with another default value in the scene, I just put another data value and it’s done, while keeping only one reference in the library !

In conclusion, I could have only one “clock symbol” in the library and instantiate it with some different values (ex data-hour=2, data-minute=6)

Do you understand what I mean ? (sorry English is not my mother tongue)

1 Like

Hello,

+1 for the data attribute.

For instance, I would like to use a library for i18n, like i18next: http://i18next.com/pages/doc_jquery.html

The data attributes is used to “easily” associate a key to a text element for it to be automatically translated by the library.

I would also like to easily use Angular with one of my project. Ng uses the data attribute.

Thanks Daniel.

1 Like

Right now if I want to add an attribute to, say, a rectangle element in Hype, I have to use javascript like this:
hypeDocument.getElementById('box').setAttribute('ng-show', 'loaded');

It would be extremely helpful if we could add one or more attributes to the selected element in the Identity tab. A common use case would be when integrating an animation into an existing app (like angular), we can assign data-my-property: 'My Value' or ng-hide: 'isHidden'.

It would be very cool if we could set this at the scene level - since it’s just a div.

2 Likes

It would be helpful to be able to store some arbitrary data on elements and symbols. Using the ID and Class fields to store information that is passed as arguments is a bit hacky, and could be cleaned up with the ability to add a number of ‘data-’ attributes. This is especially important when building more complex interactions.

3 Likes