Asset/Object/Table elements

I am not sure how to describe it, but I guess the closest thing in mind is
.dfm files in Delphi, which are templates of tables, text objects, dropdown boxes etc…

It would be great to have something persistent as a table object where you decide a free number of parameters, read bellow, and then with a script in Hype populate the table with data (say from a json source, like php script on server-side).

the “table” files/elements can be on the page but the content can be dynamic, depending on what the “load” page populates the table with, read from a json source…

example of “pageobjects” :

object prevbutton: TextObj
    Left = 8
    Top = 96
    Width = 70
    Height = 20
    BackGroundColor = White
    shown = True
    BackGroundColorThemeIndex = 0
    Align = Left
    Font.PrimaryFont = 'verdana'
    Font.SecondaryFonts = 'SYSTEM'
    Font.Size = 2
    Font.Color = Black
    Font.Bold = False
    Font.Italic = False
    Font.Underline = False
    Font.Strikeout = False
    Font.ColorThemeIndex = 0
    AutoLineBreak = True
    Text.Strings = (
      'previous')
  end

object Nextbutton: TextObj
    Left = 880
    Top = 96
    Width = 70
    Height = 20
    BackGroundColor = White
    shown = True
    BackGroundColorThemeIndex = 0
    Align = Right
    Font.PrimaryFont = 'verdana'
    Font.SecondaryFonts = 'SYSTEM'
    Font.Size = 2
    Font.Color = Black
    Font.Bold = False
    Font.Italic = False
    Font.Underline = False
    Font.Strikeout = False
    Font.ColorThemeIndex = 0
    AutoLineBreak = True
    Text.Strings = (
      'Next')
  end

well,

you can use some xmlHTTPrequest to load a xml and populate any hypeelement with the stored data …
search for Ajax (jquery), JSON, unsynchronous … the web will float you! and you’ll also get results within this forum …

Hans-Gerd, thanks for the feedback. I will have a look at that, and even though it might do the wanted function, it's not exactly what I had in mind, I think.

I was aiming at some really easy way to get things worked with. I don't want to touch any xml, xml is old now. JSON is what I'd like to use. Still if it works just great, it can do the job.

I guess I was looking for drag/dropping the "data-element" where I can provide url to the json-file and my data in the table is kept "fresh" then I work on the visual assets, colors, actions etc..

Also things like built-in column sorting, hidden values sorting when sorted on certain column:
For example I list a lot of football player data, and one could either format the values or do something when sorting the column as columns may include formating, alphanumeric data, integers, float etc.. I want all that built in such an object/element.

example:
Player 1 value: $8.456K
Player 2 value: $12.250K

Sorting those could be done by removing the format data and sort only 8456 vs 12250 or data is read as 8456 and 12250 from the backend and formated on the front end (hype/component's column), so built in support for column formatting could be a way to do it..

/BK

sounds like your trying to place a featurerequest :smile:

… though i guess your wishes are very special and need handmade coding :smile:

Yeah, in the future Requests forum :smile:

I don’t know how special wish this is but it would make the product a lot more usable for front-end coding and design with back-end support, so I dare to say that it could be a game changer for the product itself.

It’s up for the developers (team) to decide I guess but I am pretty sure this is not the first time this has been requested or asked.

Having just front-end with no backend functionality/support is just for making templates, not real websites. If developers are serious about this product, which I believe they are, that should be a no brainer. I am a PRO user by the way, but I feel I can’t do anything serious with the product if no such thing exists, a bridge to back-end functionality, data connections and so on.

/BK

There are so many of these "game changer" requests that I would think it's becoming difficult to see a path and which direction to take Hype in. :smile:

The Javascript functionality? Is this not your bridge to back-end functionality :slight_smile:

As Hans says above. You can always use JS (jQuery) to retrieve JSON data

var jqXHR =
    $.ajax({
        url: "your URL",
        dataType: 'json'
    })
    .done (function(data) { data./* whatever parts of your JSON object you need*/ ; })
    .fail   (function()     { alert("Error")   ; })
    ;

D

Ah but listen, I am sure you can solve this in several ways. Some good, some bad, some ugly.

I am saying if there is not a component in Hype to do it, why not have it built?
We are having persistent elements on scenes like graphics, which can be loaded in each scene. But having a data source either on the whole project or scene by scene, sure is not that bad of an idea?

I can probably use php, to change the html created in Hype, so I can replace placeholders in html, then when the change is done, reload the url, or whatever fishy solution one can do.

But why not be able to do this everything within Hype?
Drag and Drop a data source, give it login/pass then stream the data, format it (still within Hype) and display. I guess I am almost looking for Hype as php replacement or it may sound like that but I don’t care about that.

BY drag&dropping the datasource element, a TABLE could be created (by HYPE from the datasource), and then in hype you can format it etc…
So it’s not all about reading an url of datapoint. The data reading and populating is only first step.

The next step is the important part, what can you do with the data read, populate textfields, dropdownboxes, html tables (with sorting capability) etc…

With such support you can us Hype as reporting software, reading data from a source and formatting it. The market is suddenly bigger than just making templates.
Don’t get me wrong, your solution may work for a part of what I was looking for and if it’s too much hustle, I will do it in PHP/something else (as many others) would do. The idea is to enable HYPE with more functionality that may enable it as a tool for more than one thing, so yes that makes it gamechanger request.

I am happy to provide more info if it’s unclear.

Hype is meant to be a tool to do amazing pages quicker, and I am suggesting adding dynamic content retrieval, formatting, and displaying. Not sure if I was able to explain it better this time.

/BK

1 Like

I realise this post is a few years old, but I have the same need.

Was there any solution or work around for this?

Tristan