Running a 10 second ad periodically through an HTML kiosk experience

Hey gang - good to finally post something on the forum have been a Hype user for years.

I was wondering if any1 has gained any traction on potentially running an ad on an HTML5 kiosk experience. We currently have an experience that was built in Hype and we would like to start running an add that you MUST watch in order to go back into the experience (sort of like the youtube countdown ad).

It would only be periodically and we would like it to be while on ANY scene. Not necessarily a "screensaver" or anything like that. say randomly every 30 minutes - play this mp4 full screen. Would be interesting to hear if this is possible.

Thanks a lot gang.

https://www.w3schools.com/html/html5_webworkers.asp

you can make use of a webworker. some js that runs in the background.

There are many different ways to approach this, but I think ultimately you'll at least need some JavaScript.

I would probably go a route where you add some code in the Head HTML that hooks onto Hype's event system and listens to the HypeSceneLoad event. This would be your queue to potentially play a video. The scene itself is loaded, but you could create some HTML outside of Hype that covers it up (or hides Hype content) and doesn't reveal itself until the video is done.

<script>

function showVideoIfNeeded(hypeDocument, element, event) {
    /* your code here to determine if you should overlay a video and play it */
  }

if("HYPE_eventListeners" in window === false) {
    window.HYPE_eventListeners = Array();
  }
  window.HYPE_eventListeners.push({"type":"HypeSceneLoad", "callback":showVideoIfNeeded});

</script>

could also be just another hypescene ...

1 Like