Flummoxed b/c Animation Not Visible

I’ve been using Hype long enough to be comfortable with troubleshooting why an animation won’t appear on a web page. Almost invariably it’s because I’ve got the file path wrong. But I’ve just spent the last hour banging my head against the proverbial wall, inspecting my file path word by word, letter by letter, re-exporting the Hype file and using a shorter name to simplify it, and as far as I can tell it’s not the problem this time. So I’m stuck. I don’t know why there’s a big blank spot in my web page where the little animation should be… Just out of curiosity, is there a limit to how much folder nesting you can do with Hype?

I’ve included three files in a zip archive:

1. A screenshot showing the folder hierarchy.
  2. The Hype-generated html file (“ffd_dbd.html”)
  3. The web page with the unwanted hole in it (“mobile.hm”) (Hype code starts at line 256)

Archive.zip (273.9 KB)

Thanks for your help.

– Andy

It’s hard to tell from the files provided, but it looks like the path to the ‘ffd_dbd.hyperesources’ folder may be the problem.

Greg,
If you can show me exactly where it looks like I went wrong that’d be great. I spent a huge amount of time staring at that path and I couldn’t see it. I admit, detailed focus like this has never been my strongest point, but I’ve learned the hard way that the tiniest thing out of place is all it takes. I just couldn’t find it this time.
Thanks,
Andy

It’s too hard (for me) to tell without seeing the actual website. It also looks like there is a folder above the ‘hype’ folder named ‘BrumderMansion’ that is not in the code. Have you tried putting the hype.resource folder at the root level? (you would have to change the path in your code).

Hi Greg,
The page is here http://milwaukeebedbreakfast.com/mobile-test.htm.
Thanks,
Andy

Can you post the project. and any other relevant info.
Although I can see the blank spot it is not clear whats supposed to be happing there.

I'm not sure why (or if it matters), but the google analytic and HYPE-518.thin javascripts are showing up with Chinese characters

1 Like

I don’t know what to make of that. Obviously when I created the animation I wasn’t trying to do anything exotic – just using Hype the way I’ve used it many times before. Strange.

Hi Mark,
The missing animation is very similar to the animation running in the middle column on this page.
Andy

Hi,

I guessed it was the rotating one. But without seeing the actual project, figuring it out may not be possible.
All we have to look at is the place holder for the project which does not tell us much…

When I view the source it appears that there’s an invalid character at the start of your .html page:

How did you make this page? If you’re using a text editor, try opening it up and removing this character so that the page starts with just . It is likely this is causing your page to be interpreted with a different encoding and messing things up.

I see that too, but it may be an error indicator for not having a DocType set. It does not show up if you download the page and open it in BBEdit.

<!DOCTYPE html>

I think problem is definitely with the outer webpage rather than with your Hype project.

I loaded :

<div id="ffddbd_hype_container" style="margin:auto;position:relative;width:600px;height:400px;overflow:hidden;" aria-live="polite">

<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="http://milwaukeebedbreakfast.com/hype/Featured-Play/Full%20Frontal%20Doherty%20Death%20by%20Design/ffd_dbd.hyperesources/ffddbd_hype_generated_script.js?90031"></script>
    </div>

into a dummy page and the animation shows up with out any problems.

1 Like

I can confirm the above, it runs fine in a dummy page.

I also ran your site through a validator and it shows many problems...

1 Like