Consolidate hype windows/documents without hype opening new windows

1. What do you want to see in Hype?

Im not sure if this was ever requested but here it goes.

The ability to open existing document(s) in a new tab (regardless of window size) rather than what hype does now, opens a new window(s) each and every time?

In addition, If a new hype blank document is open and a user opens an existing, why is it that hype doesn't open in that blank untouched document or rather why doesn't it close the unedited/untouched blank document and open the existing document instead?

Interestingly, while some apple apps do this and I for one think it creates an unwanted process of closing extra windows by the user which if you think about is a waste of time and I don't understand what was the point of all this, maybe I'm missing something?

1. Have you found a workaround for this problem?

Not really.

1. How high of a priority is this for you?

[ x ] Nice to Have
[ x ] Important

1 Like

It has been requested, but as a Hype document uses tabs itself for internal javascript, I do not think we would go with an approach that had a double set of tabs.

I'm not philosophically opposed, but the UI just would be too messy unless the whole document structure was reworked.

You're not missing anything; I agree this isn't great behavior. We use the basic system document infrastructure so I think right now we're doing whatever the default macOS behavior is, though it could be we are overriding it in some unknowing way. Fixing this so that a blank document is auto closed is on the list!

Thank you!

1 Like

Just a suggestion, the Javascript tab looks like its special case feature to extend hype beyond its timeline and functionalities... Also, it seems like it's secondary to dealing with the process of opening/opened documents and as such, I'd think the Javascript tab should be a radically different type of a tab/approach that has nothing to do with 'conventional document tabs' look. That said, I still think document tabs should be something important to have - looking at how adobe apps deal with documents tabs/windows. Like I said before, maybe if you rethink the javascript tab and do it in a way that isn't cluttered?

There will be pros an cons for any change.

I for one would rather have the functions in tabs than have documents.

But there are times when I have a few docs open.

One way I see that may work is similar to xcodes split view.
The idea being if you want two or + docs side by side you can add them to a split view.
I.e
In doc 1, you hit a spit view button and choose doc 2 two from open docs or use open dialogue to populate the new split view.
Ending up with doc 1 on left and doc two on right.

Each doc retains its own view structure and ui.
And you can navigate any of the split views independently.
The convenience of this is,
you have a choice to consolidate or not.
You can view and compare easily
I also suspect that hypes documents do not have to change that much to be able to do this. (May be wrong )

This is a good point - the javascript tabs predate document tabs and come from a time when there was less standardization around the purpose of tabs (The macOS document tabs were introduced in 10.12 Sierra, 4 years ago).

I definitely have thought about having another pane for Hype that is the "editor" pane. But this still needs some navigation UI (replacing tabs), and there's such limited space for a pane AND additional navigation element.

Anyways, this is one of those cases where I agree there should be a change, but it isn't clear that any current idea for the change is a big enough win to make it worthwhile to try, especially versus other improvements :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Agreed :grinning:

1 Like