Color tags/ labels

1. What do you want to see in Hype?

Being able to group elements in Hype is purely for the exported documents, composition and function, but for complex documents with a lot of elements within the app (not for export) it would be great to be able to categorise elements, perhaps being able to use coloured tags or coloured labels - like in photoshop.

A useful scenario is when you are testing different versions using copies of elements, I don’t know the workflow of other users but quite often I’ll make copies to test variations of different functions or aesthetics, using the in app toggle visibility - it doesn’t take long before I have a very messy and unorganised composition.

Also sometimes elements in the same category (from a workflow perspective) can’t be directly following each other within the apps timeline list of elements because obviously changing the layers hierarchy directly affects the documents z index.

But if I were able to colour code things, for example, all elements that make up a contextual menu I can label red, that way no matter where they are listed within the apps window I can clearly see everything that is a part of that “category”

Also If I want to test a slightly different arrangement with this “category” I can make a copy and change the labels to orange, whenever I come back to this document I can clearly see what every element is for and what it’s a part of. No matter how good my naming conventions are, if I’ve spent time away from a complex document and come back to it takes time to familiarise myself with “categories”

Would also make for a faster workflow when switching between layouts with duplicated (but different) elements and switching between other apps - your eye can identify a coloured label much quicker than reading all the names.

1. Have you found a workaround for this problem?

No, just have to be careful with naming conventions, however a coloured label would be much easier to recognise and make for a much faster workflow.

1. Are there examples of other apps with this feature? Or, have you seen examples of this elsewhere on the web? (Please include a URL)

Photoshop, Mac osx tags

1. How high of a priority is this for you?

[ ] Nice to Have

3 Likes

Thanks for the request - we definitely agree it would be valuable!

1 Like