📘 A Book About Hype (2020 Print Edition)

… and mine shipped just this minute.

3 Likes

Best about it is the bubble wrap… I can´t resist… :crazy_face:

2 Likes

First impression:

• Good grip and bigger and bolder then I expected
  • Lot’s of nice code examples

Notes:

• Line breaks on code blocks could be improved (duo to long hypeDocument API names)

Looking forward to reading it
:+1:

2 Likes

… and I can read it without using my glasses! :blush:

4 Likes

Hi, really want to buy this book but the idea about chopping down Amazonas when you can do it without, is more valuable. The day it is released digitally i will place an order. /olle

(And sending it with post around the world in more paper and plastics don’t make it better.)

1 Like

Why only a printed book?

In a world filled with paper towels, toilet paper, and wooden frame houses, I'm surprised that there are some people that don't want to buy this book because of environmental reasons.

This book is not meant to be disposable, certainly not like a paper cup. But when you're done with the book, you can save it, give it to someone else, or recycle it.

I don't know where Lulu sources their paper, but I doubt it's Amazon rainforests. (That sounds expensive.)

Lulu uses FSC certified, lead-free, acid-free, buffered paper made from wood-based pulp.

https://help.lulu.com/s/article/Cover-and-Interior-Paper-Stocks?language=en_US

Did you know there are more trees in the United States now than in the 1920s?

I thought it was really neat how the book was printed in Poland and shipped to Germany. Lulu certainly has gotten better at its distribution game.

But then there's this...

Electronic devices have an environmental impact too. Which is worse, paper, or electronic waste? A book doesn't need batteries. But more importantly, printed books have tremendous advantages...

Printed books can help you sleep better, are better for learning, and are overwhelmingly preferred over ebooks...

One recent study of college students in the U.S., Slovakia, Japan, and Germany showed that 92 percent of participants preferred actual books that they can hold and touch and leaf through whenever they please.

So yeah, roughly ~8% of people are disappointed with the plan. That's OK, there are digital alternatives... Tumult Hype — Tutorials ...this book was ebook before it was a printed book. While the original had very nice reviews overall, the response now is night-and-day. Look at the joy in this thread. People are happy and excited to get their book. That's amazing. That's what Hype needs.

There's a theme throughout the book — that the modern Internet is boring. Hype can help change that, but you need to really understand the software to push it to the limit. A printed book reduces distraction and helps with learning. The whole purpose of the book is to help people learn Hype. That's been the driving force of the book's design, the way it was written, and the way it's made.

Interesting, I didn't get bubble wrap. It was in a box that tightly wrapped around the book.

3 Likes

Lulu sends the books from Poland in Europe. So, I guess that is a different facility with it’s own packaging. @ktewes and me are in Germany.

1 Like

I would still love to have it digitally and will buy it the second it exists. /olle

YES! It’s on the way!

2 Likes

Did you get your book? Do you like it?! :slight_smile:

Meanwhile, there's a new 15% off sale at Lulu...

15% off orders of all print products | Use Code: FIFTEEN | Ends June 19 at 11:59 PM

...see the Lulu website for details.

Still going to my mailbox every day… not here yet.
The tracking seems to be useless since it says:
«This number can’t be found at this moment. It’s not available in the carrier’s system yet. Please check back»
I keep hope…
Thank you to asked.

1 Like

Same here. Hopefully it will be here soon. :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover: :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

YEAH! Just arrived!

6 Likes

Thank you so much for doing it. I have read it now - mostly familiar stuff (hey, been with hype since almost the beginning) but that is also valuable: reminded me of how much I know - and should be happy and proud of. The chapters on JS were extremely valuable: showed me the path forward, the stuff which is still missing in my craft.

Lots of tiny details, small comments which made it time really well spent and also showed how much the author really does care. And personally, I appreciate that a lot.

So one more time, thank you for taking the trouble. I understand this is not business (i.e. the ROI will be minimal, if any…) but - to use grand words - an act of love for the program and community around it. And I find that very touching and valuable.

I have to tell a small anecdote: you said you studied photojournalism and then moved into web design, hype… well, I just finished 30 year career of photojournalism and I am looking for new horizons… Your book is a great asset in that.

One more time: my sincerest thank you.

3 Likes

The book arrived today. Look forward to reading it when it is my turn…

IMG_3632

6 Likes

Previously I asked if I should put the templates on GitHub. While not exactly a scientific poll, it was unanimous. So, I looked into it. There was one major problem. One doesn't simply drag-and-drop a Hype Template to GitHub.

The .hypetemplate file is actually a package of files. If I try to add it, GitHub automatically compresses it. That defeats the purpose of using Git, as tracking changes is not ideal with encoded text.

...and then there's also my general aversion to social media websites. :smile:

I thought about using the "Restore Document from Export" option, but ehhh... that's not exactly friendly to beginners. Anyway, I suppose that's an idea for Hype. Maybe Hype projects should be more friendly for version control.

I saw this... Git/ VCS with hype files ...and that was over four years ago.

One of the things I realized while writing this book is that Hype is mainly a soloist app. But lately, the Internet is moving away from the days of an individual "Webmaster" and moving towards teams. Collaboration is definitely and area of improvement for Hype — especially these days, where remote work is far more common.

I think perhaps you're not doing things as you should with your "drag and drop". I just tried pushing a repo with a hype template, then I made changes and committed them and pushed the repo and I could see the changes in data.plist as plain text. I don't know anything about templates but it did seem to work.

You must know how to use Git first, then you can share the repo on GitHub, which by the way is not a social media website. :slight_smile:

Or perhaps I'm not understanding what you're trying to do.

2 Likes

That's one of the problems. I don't like the idea of so many changes occurring in one file. I made a tiny project, but the data.plist is over 14,000 lines long. That's not the best for readability.

I was thinking maybe Hype could be more like Xcode...

The "M" means the file has been modified. I can actually find that file on my desktop. I can open up the project in Visual Studio Code and easily see the differences.

Oh, quite true. That's not really the idea behind Git, but I was hoping I could do something quick. That would help with this too...

...people could just drag-and-drop their project. Although, I suppose if you're entering a game development competition, you should be able to handle Git.

I've also been debating — is this really a good idea? While more people will see the projects, a lot of people might ask me for a non-Hype version. Some will likely ask about how to use Git too. That has me wondering if I should just make these projects pure Vanilla JavaScript, but that's a different book project. :smile:

1 Like

Yes perhaps Github is not the best place for templates. For pure javascript it would totally be appropriate. Perhaps there should be a Hype templates collection on Tumult's site (or at least a curated site somewhere)?

2 Likes

Not sure what your profit margin is with LuLu (or whether that is even a motivation), but I suspect you'd do better with Amazon. I keep debating a purchase and keep returning to 'no.' My library is digital. I read on my iPad (isn't that what it's for, haha). I have no warm and fuzzy feelings for a big book, esp. when a PDF is so easy to search. So put me down with the group waiting for a searchable PDF. All best wishes with the book.