Wordpress URL not found

Hi

I can’t get a Hype animation to run on a new website I’m building.

I’ve uploaded a test Hype file to Wordpress, copied the URL of the .js file and modified the fie path, following the video instructions as closely as I can.

Testing the location returns a 404. Creating a post in wordpress and applying the text results in nothing visible on the post.

It seems like I’m just getting the URL wrong, but I’m copying, not typing, and it looks fine.

Unfortunately you can’t test it because the site is not live: this computer has been modified to point at the correct URL, but others will go to the old site.

The copied URL:
ftp://cycletor:@103.18.109.144/public_html/wp-content/uploads/Rewards/EyesWideOpenRewards.hyperesources/eyeswideopenrewards_hype_generated_script.js

The modified URL:
http://www.cycletorque.com.au/public_html/wp-content/uploads/Rewards/EyesWideOpenRewards.hyperesources/eyeswideopenrewards_hype_generated_script.js
(This returns a 404, not a page of script)

The resulting code if I keep going anyway is this:

Pasting that into a post is blank.

Oh, and tried the Hype Animations plug-in and couldn’t get that to work either. i have no idea if that might be related.

Any ideas appreciated.

The url above has “public_html” inside it which I gather is a mistake as there is no such folder on your site. This is normally a name (folder) that is at the root e.g

-/public_html/{all site files}
--index.php
--worpress
--blah blah blah

So when visiting http://www.cycletorque.com.au/ you would actually be pointing to

public_html/index.html

but the public_html folder is not visible to the web. Just anything inside it.

The copied URL above is 1) not a URL as such. It’s an FTP path to a particular folder and 2) not the IP matched to cycletorque.com and cycletorque.com does not have a “Rewards” folder in the wp-content/uploads directory. Hence the 404. Check you are uploading your Hype files to the correct IP (Web Address) :wink:

1 Like

Hi

(Back from travels…)

I think you’re looking at the old site. In paragraph 5 I wrote:

Unfortunately you can’t test it because the site is not live: this computer has been modified to point at the correct URL, but others will go to the old site.

I had to modify this machine to point to 103.18.109.144 instead of cycletorque.com.au - so I can get to the pages, but not to the javascript.

However, you got me thinking and testing - I needed to take out the wp-content string from the copied ftp - that fixed it.

Thanks for the tips.