Slide to time and ignore stops

Hype offers a action to jump to a given time on the timeline, but I’d love to have a function allowing to “slide” to a given time.
I mean, imagine timeline has different markers A, B, C, D and E, each with a Stop command to allow playhead to halt here.
This function would allow, when in C, for example, to play timeline to any marker A, B, D or E and this play not be affected by the stops in between.
That would allow very interesting and complex use of timeline and smooth animations

2 Likes

just set a short js to every timelinemarker that checks for its key (A, B, C … X,Y Z) to stop … then you’d just use continue timeline …

Thanks, Hans,
But I don’t know exactly how to do it.
And, if you are in F, would it understand to go forward to T and backward to A without stopping in between ?
I’m sure a built in function like “Slide to X” that would determine the direction and ignore stops would be much easier to use.

there could be a couple of good reasons for this or that functionality. but they would (well most or at least in common) mess up simplyness instead of improving … my fifty cents :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got your point :wink:
Anyway, I’m interested in your suggestion with JS

Not sure if this may help but maybe you can group what you have, use that as timeline 1 with stops, then create a second timeline with that group but now with a whole new set of stops ignoring your previous timeline.

1 Like

Thanks @Rick4F, but I’m not sure I really get your point

Hi @kerguelen

This is what relative timelines are kinda for. It does take a little bit of thinking and may not produce the exact requirement you need without a little more work. Here is something that will get you near to what you want.

Instead of 1 long timeline think of your movement as bits of that timeline spread out amongst separate timelines. Example, if I want to go from A to D via B and C I could create 3 timelines (A-B, B-C, C-D) and within Hype check them all as relative (to each other) when I do this I can create actions that take me to any of the points and because they are relative they’ll ignore each other. (A-C, C-A, C-B, etc)

The following example is to illustrate that point. I hope you find it useful.

relative_timelines.zip (43.0 KB)

Demo

*note there is a caveat in that with motion paths it doesn’t follow the same path backwards rather it seems to go to the last point in the motion path before and continues on to the end of its timeline.

1 Like

Oh ! Thanks @DBear :slight_smile:
Actually, this is a method I"ve been using so far but I thought the Slide to Time method would allow to achieve this in a more straightforward way.

@DBear

Nice demo Darren!