Running Hype code returned from PHP

I’m running an AJAX call which, using PHP, returns some hype code to change the scene. How do I execute the returned hype code to change the scene?

Can you post an example…

What code is it? Is it one of the functions because you can manipulate Hype scenes and documents outside of Hype using the global syntax.

D

I hope this makes sense. And important to note that the returned scene change code will change which is why I can’t run it directly in the page code. So the code that I’m getting back from PHP is:

{"Error":"Yes","eval":"hypeDocument.showSceneNamed('scene2', hypeDocument.kSceneTransitionPushRightToLeft, 1.1"}

I’m getting this returned from a standard AJAX call:

$.ajax({

url: './gta_getdata.php',
type: 'POST',
dataType: 'JSON',
data: {
      d1: data1,
      d2: data2,
      d3: data3
},

success: function (res) {
	$.each(res,function(key,value){

//check for error
			if (res[key].Error == "Yes"){
				alert(res[key].eval);
                            //EXECUTE RETURNED SCENE CHANGE CODE HERE

}

Hi @3saul,

Outside of the Hype document nothing is going to understand "hypeDocument.showSceneNamed ....."

Your probably better off using the HYPE.documents['...document name ... '].showSceneNamed ..... like below.

Not 100% sure how you would implement it in your situation but I think this would be a start.

Here is the post.

D

Just to clarify Hype is calling the AjAX function and receiving the response so I would have thought it would be relatively straight forward??

The ajax call is being made from a function or the Head html in Hype?

D

If I do understand you right and you are getting the return in a hype function.

Then some thing like this may work. But you would need to format the string as I have here.
Also using eval may not be safe and I would advise you check the security risks first.

var jasonReturn =   "{\"Error\":\"Yes\",\"eval\":\"hypeDocument.showSceneNamed('scene2', hypeDocument.kSceneTransitionPushRightToLeft, 1.1)\"}" 
 var text = '{ "scenes" : [' + jasonReturn +  ']}';
 var obj = JSON.parse(text);
  eval (obj.scenes[0].eval);

Perhaps using JSON.parse might be an option. Rather than eval.

D

Mark you are correct, I am getting the return in a hype function

This is all a little bit new to me. I thought that JSON.parse() would run the code too. But it does not.?

OK. The information being returned is JSON so surely

var text = '{ "Error":"Yes","eval":"hypeDocument.showSceneNamed(\'scene2\', hypeDocument.kSceneTransitionPushRightToLeft, 1.1)"}';
var obj = JSON.parse(text);

It’s new to me also. So I’m no expert. I’m just thinking out loud. :smile:

D

That what I first tried. But it does not run the code. Even do it returns an object..

Also I get an error if I try and parse the return with out putting it in an array like object .i.e { "scenes" : ['...

Which had me thinking I could just do:

var realReturn =  {"Error":"Yes","eval":"hypeDocument.showSceneNamed('scene2', hypeDocument.kSceneTransitionPushRightToLeft, 1.1)"}

theScenes.scenes = [realReturn];

console.log(theScenes);
 var obj = JSON.parse(theScenes);

But I get the error:
[Log] Error in untitledFunction: SyntaxError: JSON Parse error: Unexpected identifier "object" (HYPE-466.thin.min.js, line 14)

Even though the object looks ok.

:frowning:

I’m stumped

D

Just update my last post with some more info.

what about trying

theScenes.scenes = '[{"Error":"Yes","eval":"hypeDocument.showSceneNamed('scene2', hypeDocument.kSceneTransitionPushRightToLeft, 1.1)"}]';

D

Nope.

That just sets the array to

[Log] Object
scenes: "[{"Error":"Yes","eval":"hypeDocument.showSceneNamed('scene2', hypeDocument.kSceneTransitionPushRightToLeft, 1.1)"}]"
__proto__: Object

The working one looks like:

[Log] Object
scenes: Array[1]
0: Object
Error: "Yes"
eval: "hypeDocument.showSceneNamed('scene2', hypeDocument.kSceneTransitionPushRightToLeft, 1.1)"
length: 1
__proto__: Array[0]

The one that looks like it should work but does not :smile:

[Log] Object
scenes: Array[1]
0: Object
Error: "Yes"
eval: "hypeDocument.showSceneNamed('scene2', hypeDocument.kSceneTransitionPushRightToLeft, 1.1)"
length: 1
__proto__: Array[0]

Does the single quote make any difference. It’s just I read somewhere in another forum post that Hype accepts it this way.

D

It may do I was just looking at that

So the problem was the ‘’ surrounding the scene name…

This works also…

var scene2 = "'scene2'"
	var json = '{"Error":"Yes","eval":"hypeDocument.showSceneNamed(' + scene2 + ', hypeDocument.kSceneTransitionPushRightToLeft, 1.1)"}';
    obj = JSON.parse(json);
  	eval (obj.eval);