Making a solid circle blink & Password controlled form

How can I make a solid circle blink when clicked and stop blinking when clicked again. Not using java script but only using the timeline.

Thanks
Rudy

Thanks

Rudy

I'm not sure that you can do that without javascript, but you can make it blink and use a "Mouse Out" to pause the blink.

blink2.hype.zip (11.2 KB)

You might be able to use Mark Hunte's toggle method to achieve this...

Hi Rudy

Here is a template that shows what you want just using timelines. You cannot have more than one action to manipulate the same timeline (I mean you cannot pause and start/continue the same timeline with one button) but you can do some ‘slight of hand’ and use an identical button to achieve what you want.

Figuring out how to use it on the circle is your challenge :wink:

btnBlink.zip (16.8 KB)

D

Hi,

@gasspence was right in my Toggle switch tip could do this, but you have to get creative with the timeline actions.

This example uses two timelines.

The first one toggleBlink is hooked up to the element.

It controls the on off of the blinking by triggering the second timeline which runs the blinking.

Each timeline has a few actions which is easier to look at than explain here… I did say I had to get creative.

And to be honest I was surprised it worked. It would have been much easier with a bit of JS thrown in.

But it is good to encourage only using the bounds of Hype so we learn how to push them…

BlinkingElementToggle.hypetemplate.zip (12.7 KB)

Thank you guys. Mark would it be too much to ask if you would be so kind as to make for me a js to turn on and turn of the blinking . You got me thinking now because I will have to do this for each student I have. So I would be much easier to do with a js . Sorry for the bother. This will help me and my students greatly.

Thanks
Rudy

Hi Rudy,

I assume this will go with the other project..

Can you explain a bit more of what you are trying to do, why do you need the blinking light and how it will be used in the project

Well with the help of yourself and the others I have working pretty well . So far I have the names of each of my students and the buttons you helped me with and of course the time stamp. Then I searched one of your posts and I added a blank area so they can say where the are going to be at. All I need now is a section that will contain a big blinking light that will alert me at a glance that they are out. I know the red and green button you helped me with will do that but I think this blinking light will be more visible. And it can also help me with other projects I have in mind. In addition this blinking light will have a question on the heading of that column that will ask “did you take a pass with you” so when I see the blinking light I know.

Thanks. I hope this helps
Rudy

By the way I teach TV production to high schoolers and I constantly have them going out on assignments.

I was afried it was for the other Project and when playing with this before I was thinking a single button.

It Can be done in JS but it would be with timers and creating either multiple on the fly of globally creating one for each student. While trying this out, (and giving my self a nose bleed trying to do them on the fly :scream: ) I realised we could just use a symbol with its own blink timeline.

And add the symbol to the group/s.

The symbol is always blinking. But hitting the In-Out button will toggle it’s Opacity.

Each blink symbol will use the same type of ID the other elements need to function.

So for JoBloggs the symbol will use joeBloggsBlink as it’s ID

Love it, now nice and simple. :smile:

teacherv2.hypetemplate.zip (23.7 KB)

1 Like

nothing like a good nosebleed!!
:smile:

1 Like

Thank You Mark it works great. This has motivated me to learn some basic java script

Thanks again

Rudy

2 Likes

Hi Mark If I am bothering you too much please let me know I am very handy and usually can resolve things on my own but this coding thing is totally out of my field of experience.
I am ecstatic with the results i got with your help. But as I saw how i will be implementing it I had to include one more detail.

It would be awesome if I had another column where it would ask for a password (it could just be one password) and if the student typed the password correctly then a green rectangle with the word permission granted would appear if not the correct password then a red rectangle would appear with the word permission denied.

This password would be located on the Hall pass that i require them to take when they go out.
if possible when they enter the password it could be private like ************
It will be only one password for all my students. I’ll just make it complicated and ill change it every now and then
This column does not have to have any interaction with the other columns you created for me.

I know that this is a lot to ask But this would make my class project for my students complete. Since this is a personal thing im doing in my class just for my students we don’t have the funds to purchase software already designed for this.

Thanks Mark I would really appreciate this as well as my students

Rudy

Ha ha, I was wondering when this part would come up.

Hype by itself really isn't designed for this. It uses JavaScript, which can simply be downloaded and read. So, where would the passwords be stored? That's usually handed with something like PHP/MySQL.

If you want to learn more about JavaScript, here's a nice site... JavaScript Tutorial

Hi Rudy,

I don’t mind, If I have time to do this stuff I will as I use these questions as a way of learning for myself.

Do you mean each student has a password by their name?.

So the students click themselves in and out?
If so is this password to show that they have actually permission to be out if the have clicked out.

Would it be better to link the password to actual permission to change IN/OUT.

Can you give some more detail on typical usage… And if possible (with names changed) you post your own project so I can get a better idea of it.

Cheers

1 Like

First of all Thank Yinout Great.hype.zip (23.1 KB) ou very much for your time
Attached is the file

I would like the default state of the password box to be grey. If the student inputs the correct password it will be green and state “permission granted”. As permission is granted I would like the students personal box to turn red indicating they are “OUT”. If the student enters the incorrect password then the grey button will turn red and state "permission denied"and their personal box will remain green “IN”. I would like for there to be five possible passwords to trigger “permission granted”. The passwords when typed in should be in the format “*****”. When the last password digit is entered I would like it to trigger the response of “permission denied” and “permission granted” without having to hit enter, if possible.

Then when the student returns and is ready to log back in from their “out” state as already designed I would like the password box to return back to grey, the default.

I hope that helps

Thank You so much
Rudy

So I was thinking along the lines of,

There is no need to have something saying denied or granted. Normally you would only see this for a brief period of time and then it would disappear.

One of the reasons that having denied or granted. labels would not be useful is that it would lead to conflicting statements.
They have had access to change but because the button is clicked again it say the have not. Using it to tell if someone has attempted to gain access would only work if you were logging attempts.

So the simpler way is to shield the IN/OUT buttons access with the password.
Entering a correct code gives them 30 seconds to change IN/OUT before the shield closes again.

This way you only have one statement. They are either IN or OUT regardless of if the try and change it with a wrong password.

Hope that makes sense.

Limiting password usage may take a bit more thought.
Can you go into more details of what you expect.
For example do the used password come back in to circuit when a student is back IN ?

inout Great_1.hypetemplate.zip (34.9 KB)

1 Like

Mark it looks really good. It would be nice with limited pw usage only because at times I have 2 or three students that will go out at the same time . So I wouldn’t want one student to enter and share the password for both while only taking one hall pass. So It would be good if one password would go out of circulation while it is being used until that password is checked back in . Only of course if it isn’t too much trouble. Other than that I am very grateful for what you have done.
Thanks
Rudy

Mark I know you are probably very busy . I’m excited to use this in my class . Do u think this is something u can still help me with? And as a reminder yes, I will need when the pw is used then that same password would be used to check back in and not until it is checked back in can it be used by another student .That would make this project complete. Again thank you so much assistance.
Sorry for being such a pain.

Rudy

Hi Rudy,
I will PM you in a sec.

Hi @Rudylucasdiaz,

I think I have most of it working now, Can you test this to make sure it works as expected.

It is not ready to deploy yet as I have not done the code for loacalStorage so every thing will be lost if the page is reloaded or closed.

So bearing that in mind this is just so you can look at the behaviour yourself, not for you students yet.

There are five passwords listed in the password function.

A student will enter the password and then click the IN OUT button.

If the Password is wrong or not entered. No change will take place.

If the password is correct and the Student is not already using a another password the IN OUT will toggle.
If the password is correct and the Student IS already using a another password the IN OUT will NOT toggle.

Any passwords in use cannot be used under another name until it is put back in the pool of password.
This is done by the student using the password twice. They can only use it under one name.
I have got rid of the unlock and shield as once I had the password code done I realised that they could unlock the IN OUT button but not change anything. This would through the passwords into not being used correctly i.e a student would be locked out and unable to make a change, therefore misinforming you if they are in or out.

The simple solution was to use the IN OUT button to fire the password check and then fire the IN OUT code.

Hope that makes sense.

Updated…

teachervPSWAORDSAVE2_2Working.hype.zip (33.2 KB)

1 Like