iOS 9 – Play Sound Action Not Working (Mobile Safari)

Having issues with the Play Sound action in iOS 9. I set up a simple button to trigger a sound but nothing happens when pre-viewing in Hype Reflect or mobile Safari. Anyone else experiencing issues?

2 Likes

Apple did bust playing audio on touchstart events in iOS 9. We’ve reported this issue to them.

The two workarounds you can do until they fix it:

1. Play audio on mouse click/tap events
  2. Uncheck “Use Touch Events” from the Document Inspector

We have a workaround that will ship in the next version of Hype, but this works by using a mousedown event instead of a touchstart which isn’t always desirable.

1 Like

Running into the same issue – thanks for clarifying @jonathan, it works perfectly on iOS 8. Do you have an ETA for the next version release? We’re working on a project that should ship by the end of November and weighing whether we need to go back and switch hundreds of touchstart events to mouse click or if your workaround should be available in time. Thanks!

This should be resolved in the latest update (3.5) – please let me know if you’re seeing any issues after re-exporting.

I don’t think this is fixed - at least not in Hype Reflect.

Same fix still works though - just attach a fake sound to the first button click and all sounds after that work.

Can you send me a document you have that reproduces it?

An example extracted from a larger project is attached here - the sound generated by the initial time line works fine in all browsers and devices (including an iOS web app saved to the home screen) that I have tested it on except Safari Mobile & Hype Reflect. In the later, it is possible to activate the sound by clicking on the “start” button (bottom right) which has a fake sound attached to it. After playing this fake sound, all other sounds work fine.
iOS_SoundIssue_Example.hype.zip (1.28 MB)

There needs to be a first triggering action to play sounds on iOS; this will never change.

There was a bug in iOS that prevented sounds from specifically being played on iOS 9.0 and 9.1 when using Mouse Down (with touch events enabled, aka touchstart). Hype 3.5 corrected this issue with a workaround. Apple fixed this issue in iOS 9.2, but our workaround actually caused the reverse effect of sounds not working! This will be addressed in Hype 3.5.1.

I’m encountering sound problems with Reflect and On Scene Load. The files work well on the desktop but not on the iPhone. Also, there’s no problem with sound on the iPhone itself. Voice mail works. Are others encountering this problem? If so, is there a work around?
Thanks, Joan

Can you share a link to your project? You may be hitting this issue: Fixing broken video, audio, & fonts and configuring your server to correctly serve content under the correct content-type