Hype vs Adobe Xperience Design vs Sketch + InVision for prototyping?

What are your opinions on best ways/workflows for prototyping? Does anyone use any of the former software for prototyping or would you prefer simply Photoshop or Sketch?

Similar discussion here

Thanks for the link, michelangelo!

The topic is interesting but not quite the discussion I was aiming for :monkey_face:

I am currently trying to figure out where Hype stands in comparison to other prototyping software. Honestly, I believe Hype has very special abilities in relation to prototyping that even many prototyping-centered softwares can’t top. Nevertheless, Hype is not present in most articles reviewing prototyping software, nor is it marketed as such. So here’s my humble outline on this issue with some questions directed at anyone experienced in this department:

##Page-based tools
Many prototyping apps offer simply the creation of a graphic layout for a specific device and routing between the different screens. This doesn’t include asset creation and features very limited animation. Literally just the usual screen swipes and turns for mobile. Simply click and redirect to another screen. The more prominent guys here are: InVision, JustInMind, Marvel, Flinto, Mockup.io and actually many many other which were created in 2015. InVision for one provides 3 options of exporting the prototype: embedding it as an iframe, downloading pdfs of the design, and downloading an html with all assets. JustInMind provides for the same export capabilities and adds a neat parallax scrolling interface to design with.

In Hype you can easily create scene routing while also having the capability to create assets. At the same time Hype offers sophisticated animation tools. The only drawback of Hype in a prototyping workflow I see here is the lack of collaboration properties (correct me if I’m wrong). Anyone’s opinion on/experience with prototyping websites and apps with Hype is more than welcome! Question: is Hype good for prototyping mobile apps? Do gestures work well and is it good for demonstration? I guess Hype Reflect is a key player when it comes to prototyping for actual mobile apps as opposed to prototyping for the web.

Now, I think prototyping for the web is something Hype wins in one shot. But when it comes to apps, business gets different. In this blog you can find a detailed review of some of the big players.

It seems to me as if these apps are very limited in terms of reusing assets. Many of them have limited exporting capabilities and offer only pre-made interactions (no custom javascript or html widget extensions). Is there any reason why I wouldn’t use Hype for the same purpose?

The only apps that make a difference are Origami (since it’s a part of a large programming environment) and Framer which makes use of CoffeeScript and leaves the design process quite open-ended, allowing for a great meeting point for designers and developers.

Curious to hear others’ thoughts.

2 Likes

I’m biased, but personally do recommend Hype for prototyping, especially if you’re in uncharted territory. A lot of prototyping tools are based on pages and doing transitions between them, but if you’re looking for prototyping unique animations and interactivity, Hype’s “blank canvas” approach will probably take you farther.

1 Like

You may be interested in seeing some real-world examples:

Here's a great app demo you may be interested in showing interactions and screen transitions: Linkility3

I've been bugging people for more examples of prototypes for a while now, but I think we only see the tip of the iceberg in that department because it's not commonplace to share their UI/UX work externally. There's thousands of prototypes hiding on company servers somewhere, from companies like Pandora, Square, & Soundcloud.