GIF export quality & webfont support

Hello,

I’d like to export an animation as GIF and I’m encountering three major problems:

• The GIFs quality is terrible. It looks like it uses the lowest quality settings. Text is barely readable and even ordinary elements have very pixelated edges.
My animation uses only few colors, no gradients and little movement. Normally the GIF format should have no trouble dealing with this kind of animation.

• Some elements in the animation get lost during export. Certain transparent PNGs used in the animation (but not all of them) are not visible in the exported GIF.
If I export the animation as a video, these elements are showing up correctly. (See attached files)

• I’m using a webfont in my animation (via Typekit). The webfont is working fine inside Hype and when exporting as HTML. But it doesn’t show up when exporting to GIF, video or previewing the animation in browsers.

My questions:

1. Is there a way to adjust the GIF quality? Is it usual that GIFs look that bad?

2. Why are certain elements missing in GIF export?

3. How can I get the webfont working in Preview and GIF export? Is this related to problems 1 and 2 or did I do something wrong generally?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Pyramid_Movie.mp4 (607.0 KB)

1 Like

5 posts were split to a new topic: Improving GIF Rendering

For many exports it looks great, though it may have changed in the latest OS update.

Thanks for the help and the link to Gifrocket.
In the end I got the best result making screencasts of the working animations, converting these to GIF and fine tune them in Photoshop.

In future releases it would be nice to have additional quality options when exporting to GIF, but I’m fine for now.

Keep up the good work!

We also now have PNG sequence export, so you can export as a series of images and convert those to a gif.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Generating High Quality Animated GIFs using Imagemagick

I had the same problem, I just increase the number of frames and works ok!