Does Google's Search Algorithm Follow External iFrame Content?

Hi,

I have a web design company and I use Hype all the time for certain parts of the site. I upload the exported Hype files from Hype to a cloud service, copy and paste the HTML URL into an iFrame and embed into the site. Then I upload the final site to any given domain.

I am planning on doing a homepage for my latest website mostly in Hype. The only thing that will not be in hype is the header and footer. I’m worried that even though it will look awesome, Google won’t be able to know what the page is about because it will only be an embed box within the actual body of the HTML. Would google not be able to crawl the page and pick up everything within the source of the Hype text since it’s in an iFrame?

When Google is crawling a site, does it follow things like embedded iFrames off-site to crawl the iFrame’s content from its source, and then use that to identify the content of the domain?

If not, is there a work around?

-Jon

Does Google’s Search Algorithm Follow External iFrame Content?

Probably not.

If you embed a regular DIV (and don't use an iframe), and you ensure that you have the 'Include text content for search engines' box checked during export, your document's text will be readable by Google's bots.

It probably does not index iframes within a page, but I'm not sure about that. You can completely avoid using iframes for embedding Hype content which should help your page's visibility.

Your embed code would look like this:

<div id="document_hype_container" style="margin:auto;position:relative;width:100%;height:100%;overflow:hidden;" aria-live="polite">
		<script type="text/javascript" charset="utf-8" src="document.hyperesources/document_hype_generated_script.js?19761"></script>
	</div>

<!-- text content for search engines: -->

<div style="display:none">

<div>All text content from the Hype document.</div>

</div>

<!-- end text content: -->