Document recover

It would be nice to have restore function in case of emergencies so that you could rebuild a project from the resource file directly from the File menu (an example being if you lose a hard drive with the Hype file but the resource folder is on your web server).

There is a function for this – here’s how to restore your document: Restore project from .plist

Thanks. It never occurred to me to look for this in the help menu. I guess I was thinking of this as a file function rather than a help function. I assume that the reason for this is that it might have been seen as assigning too much importance to such a rarely used feature.

Once software help moved away from the printed manual (which has some very distinct advantages) to online, the culture shifted. For a long time, Adobe’s help system was contained in software, which was great, but a pain in the neck for Adobe. When they moved it to online, it became a total mess, throwing in so much junk and so many red herrings that users were chasing rabbits in all directions just to find a simple (or even relevant) answer. The cultural shift happened when people found it easier and more efficient to simply Google it. This was easily ten times faster and more efficient that having to mess with Adobe’s system. Everyone started Googling for help with all apps.

And then the forum (which had been sleepily hanging on throughout) came into its own. It was no longer like the chat rooms of the old days (I used to be an Adobe sysop on Compuserve). And then outfits like Tumult and Softpress turned their forums into enormously valuable resources, supported by a very enthusiastic and knowledgable group of users.

As a result, people started ignoring help menus, which is why I didn’t think to look there. I suggest that you move the item to the File menu and simply call it “Restore”. If I missed it, chances are that I am not alone.