A book about Hype 3.5 pro

This book keeps crashing in my MacBook. (This time, when I clicked on the table of contents).

It seems to have the same issues as the widgets I am working on. Yet, no other book in my library behaves the same way. They work as expected (no crash).

What version of iOS do you have? Today iOS 10 was released, which may have addressed the bugs you are experiencing.

@photics have you heard reports of the book crashing?

iOS? it’s my MacBook. I open the book in the iBooks and then read it on my MacBook.

Should I read with iPad? the funny thing is that my widgets do not crash with my iOS devices. Only on my MacBook (where I create the widgets).

Thanks!

This seems to be a problem with your Mac book rather than any particular iBook. As you have already mentioned that your own and other iBooks crash on it.

What version MacOs are you using. Is your iBooks up to date.
Have you tried reinstalling it… etc…

I am not able to reproduce any crashes on ‘A book about Hype’ on either 10.11.6 or the latest Sierra OS released today (10.12).

did you run those widgets in the javaScript chapter? run a few of them and turn some pages back and forth… then go to page 120?

Could you please stop shouting?

Daniel,

I applied the JavaScript code block in "advanced widget" section (below) but still crashed.

Just an FYI - I worked with one widget in an empty book, still crashed (though it took longer than before to crash). Observed the memory and cpu while going back and forth, they seemed fine at the time of crash. - half the memory was being used at that time.

Can you please share your Tumult Hype document? I'd like to see what you are doing.

No, this is first one I've seen.

I'm still in the process of upgrading to iOS 10.

Although, I have been able to make the book crash before. When I created the book, I intentionally spaced out the widgets. I try to leave it one per section. (The Physics section has lots of widgets.) If you change pages quickly, the book may crash. It doesn't happen consistently though. At least, not at a normal reading speed – not from what I've seen.

From what I've seen, iBooks turns the widget off after it is not the currently active page. I think that's how it saves memory. You can see this happen by allowing a widget to play, scroll a few pages ahead and then go back. The widget will restart.

Widgets are fairly new technology. I don't know of any other reader that supports it. In general, I think iBooks could improve in this area. I don't consider it 100% stable. Another example are the cool 3D widgets in iBooks. (I used it in The Interactive Stencyl Textbook.) Those can't be too big or too many, or the book can crash.

The 3D widget is a standard iBooks Author feature, so crashing books is a concern with this technology. Memory on iOS is an issue too. Newer devices simply have more memory, so they can handle more complexity.

Here's a quote from Apple's documentation...

Avoid adding too many widgets to a single page.

If you're thinking of making your own ePub / iBook, the official documentation might be helpful...

I try to keep the widgets simple. Aside from quickly flipping through pages, I don't see why it should crash though. This is especially true for a MacBook, which usually has more memory and more CPU power.

That doesn't seem like it's a problem with A Book About Hype. If it was, my customers would likely have complained about it. I would have noticed it in testing too. The table of contents is just standard ePub stuff.

Just to be sure, I clicked through the whole book on my Mac. (Wow, I forgot how much work I did. HA!) I was quickly flipping through the pages, clicking widgets when I saw them, it felt stable.