A Book About Hype (3.5+Pro) šŸ“˜

I really want and kinda need this book now but itā€™s not available in Canada. Iā€™m very disappointed. :frowning:

The book should be available in Canada. I checked the country charts...

Canada was on the list. If you're having trouble, maybe contact them. They have a phone number listed on this page... Contact Us | FastSpring ...using a different payment method might work too. I don't know what looks like in Canada, but on the ordering page for the United States I see Paypal, Amazon, Check / Money Order and major credit cards.

Oh! i didnā€™t see it available in ibooks in Canada and i thought that the website ordering was for a paper copy that iā€™d have to wait for in the mail. I just returned to the Photics page and see that the very first thing at the top of the page says ā€œdigital downloadsā€. Thanks! Iā€™m going to order it now :slight_smile:

ā€“ i just ordered it. The best $20.78 iā€™ve spent in a long time! lol Darn exchange rate and tax here but still a good price. ā€“

1 Like

Here's an update about ordering the book. I've gotten a lot of emails about the following problem.

Some of you might be thinking...

hmmm, who is this guy? Why should I buy a copy of his book? :thinking:

That's a reasonable thing to ponder. It's good to be a smart shopper. So what do you do? Here's a typical next step...

Oh, there's a sample of the book on the official website. Perhaps I should get that first.

You read the sample and then you check out the ordering page. It seems legit! You're convinced to buy the book. Great! So where's the problem? The problem is there was some confusion between the sample copy and the full version of the book. They both had the same cover. People would buy the book, but then wonder where it was on their computer. Even after clicking the download link from FastSpring, the full version of the book would not open as expected.

To help prevent this problem from happening in the future, I updated the sample (located at Photics.com) to include a red bar across the top of the cover.

Now it's a lot easier to tell the difference between the two copies. Once you have the full version, the sample version shouldn't be necessary. In iBooks, simply "right-click" or "control + click" the sample book to select the "Delete" option. (On iOS, use the "Select" and then "Delete" option to remove the sample copy.)

2 Likes

For those of you that were trying to order ā€œA Book About Hypeā€ in the last ~2 weeks, the book is back online again.

1 Like

Hi @Daniel and @jonathan ā€“ On the tutorials pageā€¦ http://tumult.com/hype/tutorials/ ā€¦thereā€™s a link for ā€œA Book About Hypeā€ in iTunes. Itā€™s not available there anymore though. The link isā€¦ https://photics.com/hype-book ā€¦and I mention this because it may be causing confusion to people looking for the book.

If youā€™re having trouble cutting-and-pasting code from the book, this thread might be helpfulā€¦ šŸŽÆ Zap Gremlins ā€“ Cutting and Pasting code from A Book About Hype

Also, for those following along, this threadā€¦ šŸ“Š [POLL] Hype 4 Guide ā€“ Book vs Video ā€¦might be interesting to you. Iā€™ve been thinking about what to do when Hype 4.0 launches. That thread is to see if people are interested in videos.

1 Like

@Daniel fixed the link.

1 Like

Hi Michael Its been a long time since Iā€™ve been active in this forumā€¦ and with hype for that matter. I picked up a copy of you book and an super excited to learn as much as i can from it. So far i find myself completely lost with the " Bouncing Ball " exercise and honestly really puzzled and starting to get discouraged. Hopefully you can shed some light on what i might be missing. Also love the Project files on your site!

I noticed. Welcome back!

Where are you getting stuck?

i canā€™t get the ball to react to the javascript ,I have it set to Id = ā€œballā€ and using the code provided in the bookā€¦ Is there something that should be set specific in the physics panel?

Michael i know you have considered adding videos to your next book release but have you ever considered doing a video walk through for the current publication?

The ball should have "Dynamic" physics. That's so it can bounce against the wall elements, which are "Static" elements. (The walls shouldn't move.)

The bouncing actually comes from the "Bounce" JavaScript, which is run when a Mouse Down or Mouse Over event happens. It's an action that moves the ball upward, not physics. Is it confusing? Totally. That's why the "Is there a Physics API" thread is so long. The "Bounce" example is trying to get Hype to do something it doesn't excel at.

Matter.Body Module - Matter.js Physics Engine API Docs - matter-js 0.19.0 - If access to Matter.js was unrestricted, it's simply just a use of the Matter.Body.setAngularVelocity(body, velocity) API.

No changes of the current version of the book are planned. Adding video makes the project massive, so that's why it's a new project. So far, people unanimously want video...

So I figure I'd create new examples and then just do a video for each section, explaining what that section is about. I'm realizing that people don't like to read. Although, trying to learn from a video can also be annoying. So the idea is that both options are available. A video could very likely be a read-through of the section.

I haven't started that though. It's a huge project and I don't know what's up with Hype 4, so I'm working on a Hype scripting project right now.

bouncing ball.hype.zip (18.9 KB) Still no luck here is the attached project fileā€¦

For those following along at home, I sent a private message to JohnnyMoon.

1 Like

Jonny, there are several typos in the 'bounce() script, check the spelling of the word Element (one of the misspellings). You can also see them in the console in Safari. Good luck...

1 Like

I corrected my typos and still had no luck, I even tried copy an pasting code its self with no affect what so ever
bouncing ball.hype.zip (21.6 KB)

OK, which one of you is teaching a class about Hype?! I like the sales, but some people are having trouble download / reading the book. :smile:

I was actually thinking about taking the book offline, as Hype 4 could be out in a few months. But apparently, that would have been bad.

Is this a good book to buy if I primarily am going to be creating Banner Ads?

I would like to work on web site elements in the future but as for now I need to focus on Web Banner Animation/Interactions only? is this probably the place ot start?

I think that could be a weakness of the book. Hype is becoming more popular for building advertisements, but the book doesnā€™t focus in on that topic. The book is more of a general purpose how to use Hype. The basic JavaScript information might be helpful.

Thanks great, thanks. I will eventually read this book but now I need to focus more on the Ads side as soon as possible.

I have created lots of banners now but we havnt tested any so I am unsure of what will and will not workā€¦ I wish there was a A book about Hype ( for banner ads )

I am slowly going through all of the tutorials but they seem to be a bit older now so its difficult to see what I can and cant use!

1 Like